What would be a good game to movie transition?

NeghVar

2[H]4U
With the announcement of a live-action Mega Man movie, what are some games which you believe could succeed as a movie if done right?

I believe Bioshock could do well. Not necessarily the game itself, but a prequel to the game. A movie about the downfall of Rapture from the utopia it was to the dystopia it is.

I think a lot of games would if only the creative team understood and respected the source material. Silent Hill and Warcraft are good examples of ones that have already been done right. Unfortunately I don't think any movies based on a video game would be financially successful due to the stigma around them caused by years of abuse from people like Paul W.S. Anderson and Uwe Boll. I thought Warcraft was great and would love to see a sequel, but it lost a lot of money so I don't think any sequels are going to happen.

What? Mega-man is a videogame? I thought it was another comic book movie.

Well I actually hated Bioshock. It was so derivative of System Shock, that I couldn't think of it as anything but SS Underwater. And the story twist? That's my biggest gripe with bioshock games. I hate these types of "twists" that rely on keeping you in the dark about everything for 98% of the game.

That said I have no idea what game would make a good movie. First define good? Does it mean that it could be faithful to the game? Or that it could be successful at the box office (general interest and hype). Or that it would make an actually enjoyable movie?

If we go by the last, then I think almost anything can be made into a good movie, as long as the writing and directing is good. So I'm more concerned with who makes the movie and who influences it as producers. Than what the actual source material is. Especially in this day and age, I guarantee you they can ruin anything. Hell, they ruined SW. Nobody thought that possible before.

I can't say there is any particular game that I'd want to see as a movie. But there are definitely a few that I'd be interested in at least until the first trailer :D DeusEx. Half Life, Alan Wake, XCOM, Fallout, Mass Effect.

What? Mega-man is a videogame? I thought it was another comic book movie.

Well I actually hated Bioshock. It was so derivative of System Shock, that I couldn't think of it as anything but SS Underwater. And the story twist? That's my biggest gripe with bioshock games. I hate these types of "twists" that rely on keeping you in the dark about everything for 98% of the game.

That said I have no idea what game would make a good movie. First define good? Does it mean that it could be faithful to the game? Or that it could be successful at the box office (general interest and hype). Or that it would make an actually enjoyable movie?

If we go by the last, then I think almost anything can be made into a good movie, as long as the writing and directing is good. So I'm more concerned with who makes the movie and who influences it as producers. Than what the actual source material is. Especially in this day and age, I guarantee you they can ruin anything. Hell, they ruined SW. Nobody thought that possible before.

I can't say there is any particular game that I'd want to see as a movie. But there are definitely a few that I'd be interested in at least until the first trailer :D DeusEx. Half Life, Alan Wake, XCOM, Fallout, Mass Effect.
There is an Alan Wake TV series in the works.
https://hardforum.com/threads/alan-wake.1967809/

Reactions: M76
like this
There are plenty of recent modern games that have such a cinematic feel and great story (Gears of War, almost any Assasain's Creed, the recent Tomb Raider games, The Last of Us, Uncharted, etc...). Any number of them could easily have a movie adaptation but the problem is that the script can't always stick to the source material because it has to appeal to as big of an audience as possible. They won't just hedge your bets on the existing user base of the game showing up to the movie. I think that is where the problem of adaptation comes from. Most of these types of stories work well in a self-contained video game where there are interactive parts and hours and hours of gameplay but break when told as a pure narrative.

Anyway, getting back to the fun part of this topic: it would be pretty awesome seeing a good and proper Gears of War movie. I'd love to see all the set pieces and people running around with the COG armor and weapons.

Second Life could also be good, no seriously... using The Truman Show as reference, but instead, all the people in the world at one point become self-realized...

I think a lot of action/sci games could work well if they look at what made The Martian great... people actually love sequences of interesting problem solving, it doesn't need a romantic arc or tons of character development or back story even.... those things are better suited to a TV Series.

God of War, otherwise known as "Boy".

Seriously though, if they put in half the effort they put into the new game, it could be fantastic.

Reactions: Youn
like this
Shadow of the Colossus
staring Chandler Riggs

wandergood.jpg

Carl-Grimes.png

There are plenty of recent modern games that have such a cinematic feel and great story (Gears of War, almost any Assasain's Creed, the recent Tomb Raider games, The Last of Us, Uncharted, etc...). Any number of them could easily have a movie adaptation but the problem is that the script can't always stick to the source material because it has to appeal to as big of an audience as possible. They won't just hedge your bets on the existing user base of the game showing up to the movie. I think that is where the problem of adaptation comes from. Most of these types of stories work well in a self-contained video game where there are interactive parts and hours and hours of gameplay but break when told as a pure narrative.

Anyway, getting back to the fun part of this topic: it would be pretty awesome seeing a good and proper Gears of War movie. I'd love to see all the set pieces and people running around with the COG armor and weapons.

TLOU is already a movie. It's called, "Children of Men."

Back