what wirless adapters do [H] goers generally recommend

hollandbk

Weaksauce
I'm moving into a new apartment with included wireless but I need to get a card for my new build, what brands and models have you guys generally had success with?

Not Linksys. WMP54G PCI, 4.1 or 4.2-ish, no 64bit vista/7 driver direct from linksys. There is one built into windows, that can pull down from windows update, don't remember what was wrong with it, but couldn't run it for whatever reason. Even though it was a ralink chipset, and could get them loaded after fidgetting, their drivers constantly caused hard locks.

Headaches for weeks before I gave up and snaked a drop under the carpet =/

I would recommend staying as far away from Linksys as possible. Their wireless adapters have just sucked in my experience. Usually don't have problems with D-Link and Netgear adapters

I use the asus ones, also used the buffalo ones, I've never had ne problems with linksys cards as long as you don't install full software just drivers and windows utility

Not Linksys. WMP54G PCI, 4.1 or 4.2-ish, no 64bit vista/7 driver direct from linksys. There is one built into windows, that can pull down from windows update, don't remember what was wrong with it, but couldn't run it for whatever reason. Even though it was a ralink chipset, and could get them loaded after fidgetting, their drivers constantly caused hard locks.

Headaches for weeks before I gave up and snaked a drop under the carpet =/

Thats any consumer gear in general. No consumer networking gear is really amazing IMO, sadly. The enterprise stuff is all really pricey as well.

I bought a Trendnet B/G adapter from TigerDirect and it worked pretty good, but I find I get the furthest range and best performance with my internal wireless on my laptop, which, according to Network Connections, is apparently a "Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter".

its a large scale b/g network for and an apartment building filled mostly with college students so it will be slow :eek:

Lots of P2P traffic on a single-duplex Wi-Fi...boy that is going to be some crappy network.

really.. you think they'd invest in a mesh or something, even my community college has a mesh network on most (maybe all) of its campuses. I know this because a kismet scan of the area reveals multiple bssids on multiple channels.

Back