What wireless router support dhcp from isp?

I have a Linksys wireless router, w54.. series (couple of years old), you know the type that's really popular? I'm not home right now to get the full model and numbers. I will update this post with the model and etc later when i'm at home. But anyways, my ISP is Cavalier and have that G2 (adsl) connection. They serve up the connection using dynamic IP. I can't seem to get the Linksys wireless route to work using the dynamic IP setting. Does that particular wireless router do not work with dynamic IP? Do I need a new wireless router so I don't have to reset my router every time Cavalier switches IP address to me? If the Linksys doesn't support dynamic IP what brand of wireless route will? Please advise.

Dont you have to give them a login/pass when you use ADSL??? Im pretty certain in most cases (at least all i've ever come across) you need to provide a username/password, which can be set inside the router.

I am not sure... it's advertised at 8meg connection but i only can get 5mb from it. From what i read, it's adsl because of this high speed. It basically running off of Verizon's backbone. I am not sure if there is a username/password in the router setting. I even called Cavalier's tech support about this issue and that didn't prove useful at all.

Im pretty certain in most cases (at least all i've ever come across) you need to provide a username/password, which can be set inside the router.
This is PPPoE, and lots of providers don't use it.

Do I need a new wireless router so I don't have to reset my router every time Cavalier switches IP address to me? If the Linksys doesn't support dynamic IP what brand of wireless route will? Please advise.
You shouldn't need a new router, I don't think one has ever been made that can't operate in plain DHCP mode. Have you registered its MAC address with your ISP and/or set the client hostname parameter in the router properly?

Is it working at all? What are the symptoms?

Depends on the modem, most dsl providers include a modem/gateway device that performs the pppoe for you, however, I don't know about cavalier or your specific modem.

Let me clarify... I have a dsl modem from Cavalier, that basically serves up the IP via DHCP (dynamic IP) and they only serves up dynamic IP only, no static IP from them. That connection is then shoved into the input to the Linksys wireless router's input (ethernet). Currently I have to set the Linksys wireless router to a static IP address, subnet and etc from the modem. This is all using static ip setting since I can't get the dynamic ip setting to work. Just not sure how to get it to work using dynamic. IP address, subnet and etc get change any where from a few day to a few weeks. Pretty much random. When the do that I have to log back into the router and reset the router w/ the new ip, subnet and etc by physically connect the modem's output (ethernet) to main computer's ethernet and do a ipconfig using command prompt.

So when you plug the router into the modem and configure it for DHCP, does it not get a lease? Not route traffic?

I would first try a firmware upgrade and factory reset, if that fails and your model of the WRT54G support it, try flashing to dd-wrt or Tomato.

Yeah i hear about tomatoe but nervous about redoing the firmware. But if that's the last resort then i'll have to look into it.

hmm...I've never seen a standard, residential style, wireless router that will not accept a dhcp lease. I have a feeling the issue is elsewhere in your setup. When you plug your modem in your computer - are you getting the public or private IP? You are plugging into the wan port of the router - not lan? Your router likely has some type of "support" page where you can ping an external address (ie. google.com) from the router. Does that work? Your router likely has options to clone your desktops mac address. Have you tried doing that?

Yeah i hear about tomatoe but nervous about redoing the firmware. But if that's the last resort then i'll have to look into it.

I suspect that if you hard reset you router this would work. you may have changed one setting long and and its causing problems now. the default behavior of almost all consumer routers would work fine in your situation. stick the latest firmware on it while you are at it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Back