What Will the Xbox Two Be Like and When Will We See It?

Digital Foundry has been doing graphics/performance comparisons using a 750ti and i3. The 750ti beats the PS4 in performance in every game they have tested so far @ comparable settings 1080, 30fps.

So you see your $1200 claim seems a bit absurd.

Also that $400 PC build could play it cause Dying Light is coming to Linux as well. There's bugs but it's not like Dying Light is a well done PC port. Keep in mind he's using recording software that's robbing some performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cZGw92feB0

But 3 years from now the console is going to be running brand new games pretty decently, and that $500 gaming PC is going to need another $100-$300 video card. But hey, thats one reason I like PC gaming, you can upgrade as you need to.

That's not how things work out. In 3 years from now developers are going to limit their games for the Xbox and PS4. It's not like a $500 PC today is less capable compared to a PS4 or Xbone in 3 years. But bad PC ports will continue and developers can be more laid back on optimizing PC games, as they usually do.

But that only happened during the 360 and PS3 era of gaming. The same time period when Microsoft released Vista which hurt the PC market overall. Before 2006 PC games were mostly exclusive. Console ports were an afterthought. Big name PC games usually either got hit hard in features or needed to wait another console generation for a proper working port. Like I said the 360 and PS3 generation was a unique era of console gaming. One that'll likely not repeat.

The PS4 and Xbone won't last 3 years from now. The $400 build I had posted a few pages back is able to match it, or even surpass it. You need Linux cause Windows costs $100. PC gaming isn't there yet in terms of making consoles 100% useless but it'll happen later this year. The WIi U and Xbone will slowly fade away with the PS4 and the last one standing. Nintendo is already working on a new console so that's not a surprise. Only the PS4 will see 3 years of life.

The PS4 and Xbone won't last 3 years from now. The $400 build I had posted a few pages back is able to match it, or even surpass it. You need Linux cause Windows costs $100. PC gaming isn't there yet in terms of making consoles 100% useless but it'll happen later this year. The WIi U and Xbone will slowly fade away with the PS4 and the last one standing. Nintendo is already working on a new console so that's not a surprise. Only the PS4 will see 3 years of life.

There is absolutely noooo possible way this will happen. The extremely large majority of gamers are console gamers. You think in 3 years they're all going to put their systems in the closet and buy a $400 linux system when most of them dont even know what linux is? Unfortunately the opposite of what you said will be more true. PC gaming has been taking a back seat for a while now.

And I dont know about you guys but 30FPS on a PC game is barely playable for me. A 30FPS console game isn't that bad at all. Obviously Id prefer to run something on a PC at 75+FPS and equal or higher refresh rates.

There is no need take sides. Like I said I have no problem owning a console and still building an expensive system. You dont have to pick and choose a side. There's just no point. A $400 system today isnt going to be up to par with new games 3 years from now. You'd most likely be running a lot of games on pretty low settings. I highly exaggerated a previous statement and really was just thinking about one specific example. I'll gladly keep using both. That way I can play exclusives too.

It works for you, but that's not going to ever work for the masses. It would take Microsoft to have a "gaming OS" streamlined for the living room.
That was the point I was making, it works extremely well here, its worth a go if you are so inclined.
I was pointing out that your method wouldnt get mass market appeal because you brought that point up :p
I didnt expect my method to do so.

With Xbox that's not going to happen. SteamOS will never work and to make due you'll have to use Steam Big Picture which again involves a mouse keyboard.

There is a reason no consumer product with a keyboard and mouse has ever broken out with success in the living room.

Many of the people I know dont want the perceived complexity, even if it isnt more complex.
Fair enough.
I can also understand how a keyboard can be unwieldy or non wife friendly.
But if you want the full PC experience from the living room couch, its not tricky and can work extremely well.
It is the ultimate in convenience because I get to use my PC for browsing, productivity etc with a side monitor while the TV is on, and can do big screen gaming with the best sound system at the press of a button on the remote while still being dead centre.
And its dead comfy, even for mammoth gaming sessions.
(I sooo recommend feather cushions.)

You think in 3 years they're all going to put their systems in the closet and buy a $400 linux system when most of them dont even know what linux is?

Not sure why this argued by some as a zero sum game. How is it after all these years of desktop Linux having no significant consumer impact that SteamOS and SteamBoxes will have everyone ditching their consoles?

Until SteamOS has lots of support for new AAA tiles will it matter to many beyond the anti-Microsoft crowd.

The exception was the 360 and PS3, not the Xbone and PS4.
Again man, the NES was doing stuff the PC couldn't at the time. I'm talking 1983 for the Famicom, 1985 for the NES. PCs weren't running Descent in 1985. At THAT TIME, the console was NOT behind the PC, it was doing something that wasn't possible on the desktop then. Could the desktop do things the NES couldn't? Yes. But the console wasn't BEHIND it, it was breaking ground. You say the exception was the 360/PS3, but the Playstation, the Playstation 2, the Dreamcast, the SNES, and the N64 were all pretty cutting-edge when they came out. For the most part on release they weren't obviously behind the PC, they were neck and neck with what the best PCs were capable of. It usually wasn't an apples to apples comparison because of completely different hardware architectures. Console makers always tried to cram in as much as possible to extend the longevity of their platform, because they KNOW technology was going to catch up. But fine, you say the Xbone and PS4 are the norm. What OTHER consoles have come out that were CLEARLY BEHIND what even a midrange gaming PC could do AT LAUNCH?

These are big claims, I think their futures aren't bright, but I doubt gamers are going to give up consoles en masse as soon as Steamboxes come out. It's going to be a gradual creeping into the console marketshare and I thiink we'll be lucky if in 3 years it's considered common knowledge among gamers that console is a waste of money and people should get a steamlined living room PC instead. Ironically I see Nintendo holding on better than the others because they're actually doing something unique with their platform (even if I think it's gimmicky), and many of the games there you simply can't get on other platforms.

There won't be a "next" gen as we are use to knowing it. Everything is moving to the cloud. The next "solution" in 10 years might feature ALL three companies simply releasing games on it.

Once the cloud is up to outputing 1080p at a low enough latency then its good bye to the traditional console wars. The console business isn't as profitable as it use to be and making physical systems is far to costly. Letting go of the physical side of ownership of consoles and focusing on games might even be a boom for better games period. We are all suffering from weakened ports (Ass Creed : Unity platform "unification") and the usual struggle of developers to learn how to bleed the stone as it is.

I hate the cloud just because the trust factor is impossible in my mind. I despise corporations and simply lack any hope of trust in them yet I use them everyday because its pretty fucking hard to function in society these days without doing so. Its a strange world we live in..

There is absolutely noooo possible way this will happen. The extremely large majority of gamers are console gamers. You think in 3 years they're all going to put their systems in the closet and buy a $400 linux system when most of them dont even know what linux is? Unfortunately the opposite of what you said will be more true. PC gaming has been taking a back seat for a while now.
Not quite what I'm talking about. SteamBox's not self built PC's with Linux on them. Big difference as console gamers want that ease of use. I could put together a badass $400 PC with Linux Mint but that takes a lot of work admittedly. We live in a generation where we applaud people who put very little work and time into the things they do.
And I dont know about you guys but 30FPS on a PC game is barely playable for me. A 30FPS console game isn't that bad at all. Obviously Id prefer to run something on a PC at 75+FPS and equal or higher refresh rates.
Really? You pulled that out of where? Your colors are showing.
LzhdKrB.jpg

A $400 system today isnt going to be up to par with new games 3 years from now. You'd most likely be running a lot of games on pretty low settings.
Consoles always run games on low settings. You just can't tell unless you compare. That's what's sad about this console generation. Look at Metal Gear solid V for the PS4 vs PC.

BF4compare.jpg

There won't be a "next" gen as we are use to knowing it. Everything is moving to the cloud. The next "solution" in 10 years might feature ALL three companies simply releasing games on it.

Once the cloud is up to outputing 1080p at a low enough latency then its good bye to the traditional console wars. The console business isn't as profitable as it use to be and making physical systems is far to costly. Letting go of the physical side of ownership of consoles and focusing on games might even be a boom for better games period. We are all suffering from weakened ports (Ass Creed : Unity platform "unification") and the usual struggle of developers to learn how to bleed the stone as it is.

I hate the cloud just because the trust factor is impossible in my mind. I despise corporations and simply lack any hope of trust in them yet I use them everyday because its pretty fucking hard to function in society these days without doing so. Its a strange world we live in..

Cloud gaming will never happen for three good reasons.

#1 You'll never get latency down enough. People worry about monitor latency and you think could latency will be OK? Latency is an issue of distance and not something that can be solved with better equipment.

#2 People won't buy into it. Why not buy a game you technically don't own, plus pay a monthly fee? People aren't that stupid with their money.

#3 Different parts of the world will have different issues with this. If you're Australian for example you'll hate this a lot more cause they always get games later and always deal with higher latency due to connecting to American servers. So in a way you'll always have a need for running games on a local computer.

Cloud gaming is a pipe dream that game companies want badly to have better control over the products you buy. It's a terrible idea for consumers.

Did you miss the part where I said I would rather play just about anything on PC and get well over 60 fps? Please don't talk about my "true colors" because you really don't know what the F you are talking about. Ive been PC gaming for at least 15 years and I have at most only had a console here and there, most recently I just bought a PS3 last year for GTA5 and bought my PS4 on a whim this past Black Friday. Before that, nothing until over a decade ago when I had a PS1 and N64. So don't start giving me stupid crap with immature pictures like you know everything or imply that I'm trying to somehow say that consoles are the better choice.

For like the 50th time, 80% of my total gaming history has been on the PC. I grew up playing the original Half Life and off shoots as well as other classics, UT, etc. Christ I had steam in beta. I liked playing my fair share of N64 and loved games like metal gear on PS but Ive always been a PC guy. So don't start insinuating shit that you don't know because you don't like the way things are going and its being pointed at. The bottom line is the industry is going to continue to cater to console players who for the most part don't even buy their own console, someone buys it for them.

Obviously there's things happening that upset you and I agree, you just really don't want them to be true. I wish PC games and exclusive titles could get a jump start. If you think consoles are going to be a thing of the past in 3 years time that is borderline delusional.

And the fact IS 30fps on a PC game looks like shit, while 30fps console games aren't that bad. People want to talk about you only need X to get 30fps at comparable settings on a PC. Bottom line is I don't want to play at 30fps on my PC because it looks like shit, at that point I would rather turn the settings down and get a better frame rate.

And like I said if someone wants to take the nonsensical route of picking sides and thinking they can only use one platform than I don't even know what to say. Obviously PC's are much superior but who the F cares if someone likes to game on a console. This is stupid. It is sad though that the industry is continuing to lean towards consoles. All Ive been pointing out, PC is getting shafted. Maybe something will happen soon that will help reverse that. But I HIGHLY doubt its going to take off with a majority of gamers. Most kids will still want their PS or XB and won't give a crap about a linux steam box. Just the way it is.... I'm 26 and I enjoy using my PS4 and PC. Always have since I got into gaming. I would definitely buy a steambox as well, it does seem like an awesome concept and I hope it takes off. I really do

TThe extremely large majority of gamers are console gamers.
Based on what exactly? Let's see some sources. This sounds like a statement you're pulling out of thin air. Here's some stuff you might want to look at:

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/69141-global-pc-games-market-revenue-overtakes-consoles/
http://www.pcgamer.com/there-are-711-million-pc-gamers-in-the-world-today-says-intel/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-reaches-100-million-users-and-3-700-games/1100-6422489/

Once you start looking globally, consoles don't touch the numbers PC has. Your turn to provide some evidence to the contrary.

Ashbringer said:
#2 People won't buy into it. Why not buy a game you technically don't own, plus pay a monthly fee? People aren't that stupid with their money.
No, unfortunately this argument doesn't hold up. People are absolutely that stupid and it's a real threat to gaming. Cloud gaming will likely not catch on anytime soon, but we'll see more crap like Diablo 3 where games have all the relevant data stored online and worthless without being connected.

No, unfortunately this argument doesn't hold up. People are absolutely that stupid and it's a real threat to gaming. Cloud gaming will likely not catch on anytime soon, but we'll see more crap like Diablo 3 where games have all the relevant data stored online and worthless without being connected.

That's not cloud gaming though. It's a transition process, yes, but once games go full cloud the latency will drive people nuts. People have delay issues with Steams in home streaming process as it is. Anyone who's ever tried cloud gaming right now hates it. Doesn't mean companies won't try.

If cloud gaming does take off it'll be games like Candy Crush or Angry Bird type of games, where timing isn't necessary. By that time the gaming industry would have crashed again. Wonder what ET game is going to do it this time.

Based on what exactly? Let's see some sources. This sounds like a statement you're pulling out of thin air. Here's some stuff you might want to look at:

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/69141-global-pc-games-market-revenue-overtakes-consoles/
http://www.pcgamer.com/there-are-711-million-pc-gamers-in-the-world-today-says-intel/
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/steam-reaches-100-million-users-and-3-700-games/1100-6422489/

Once you start looking globally, consoles don't touch the numbers PC has. Your turn to provide some evidence to the contrary.

That is very surprising. Trust me I don't want to prove you wrong, you're sources are obviously legit and I looked at a few others. I'm not making a damn argument for console superiority. Not one bit. I was pissed when going through the thread on Dying Light and seeing all these people with awesome systems who were having really bad performance issues with the game. It made me mad because it was obviously just a lack of optimization on the PC side. Those articles make me happy and feel better about the situation trust me. Yea, I simply made an assumption. Thank you for proving me wrong, that is excellent news.

It is a very recent trend, like the past year or two but still that is awesome news and I had no idea. I would have definitely thought the opposite was true. To be honest I'm having a bit of trouble believing it haha, but I did read the same on a few other sites. I have absolutely no issue with that. I hadn't touched my PS4 few over a month once I got my MSI laptop. Decided to get dying light on PS4 when I read about people's issues with running the game. Other then that I haven't touched it, I am truely a PC enthusiast at heart and always have been. And I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, I don't take sides in a stupid war that too many people participate in.

That is very surprising. Trust me I don't want to prove you wrong, you're sources are obviously legit and I looked at a few others. I'm not making a damn argument for console superiority. Not one bit. I was pissed when going through the thread on Dying Light and seeing all these people with awesome systems who were having really bad performance issues with the game. It made me mad because it was obviously just a lack of optimization on the PC side. Those articles make me happy and feel better about the situation trust me. Yea, I simply made an assumption. Thank you for proving me wrong, that is excellent news.

It is a very recent trend, like the past year or two but still that is awesome news and I had no idea. I would have definitely thought the opposite was true. To be honest I'm having a bit of trouble believing it haha, but I did read the same on a few other sites. I have absolutely no issue with that. I hadn't touched my PS4 few over a month once I got my MSI laptop. Decided to get dying light on PS4 when I read about people's issues with running the game. Other then that I haven't touched it, I am truely a PC enthusiast at heart and always have been. And I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, I don't take sides in a stupid war that too many people participate in.
Well to be devil's advocate also, many AAA titles still have the majority of their sales on console, the thing is, PC already blows aware consoles with indie sales and free to play games (League of Legends has 27 million active players a month). But even for the AAA space, it's increasing. While this is just one example, you can see some breakdown by platform for Ubisoft here:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/269679/breakdown-of-ubisoft-sales-by-platform/

You'll notice that PC is as high for them as it's ever been and is showing a growing trend, even if percentage-wise it's not as big as the consoles (for AAA games). PC games are only growing, it's getting kind of insane on Steam actually. Now if you walk into a Gamestop, yeah you might think PC gaming is anemic, but globally it's turning into a hurricane.

The single biggest problem with it is that it is under powered relative to its main rival.

I don't think they will do this again.

The single biggest problem with it is that it is under powered relative to its main rival.

I don't think they will do this again.

They cannot "not do this again" all companies force each other to sign NDAs and secrecy is huge, aside from illegal activity they cannot and should not have any idea what they competitor is releasing until they release it. This is why MS was caught behind too late. If MS had known what SONY was going to do they probably would have done something similar or at least made sure their CPU/GPU had more power than Sony even if they didn't spring for the DDR5.

Next time around MS may very well tip the scales by being too powerful and ending up with a expensive console no one buys simply because they have no idea what Sony is doing, or they could just end up being less powerful again.

Back