What was the official word for the discontinuation of A-TW?

Namelessme

[H]ard|Gawd
I wasn't around here back when the 2490 A-TW was discontinued, and am just wondering what was the official reason NEC gave for discontinuing use of the A-TW polarizer in any models? Was it simply a problem obtaining that part anymore? Or was it too expensive?

I'm mostly curious as I happened to be looking at Kindle Fire HDs, and noticed this little blurb:

Like many tablets, Kindle Fire HD uses In-Plane Switching (IPS) to improve color reproduction. But displays that only use IPS still appear washed out at various angles, such as laid sideways when reading in bed, laid flat on a table, or held between you and a friend when sharing a movie. Kindle Fire HD addresses this issue by applying an advanced polarizing filter directly to the LCD panel. This results in a display that shows the same deep contrast and rich, detailed color when viewed at any angle

And that sounds basically like the same thing as the A-TW polarizer used in a handful of 90 series NEC monitors. I wouldn't think it super expensive to add then, as if Amazon can afford to put it in a $200 tablet, how expensive can it be really? And evidently it's still possible to buy from a source somewhere.

I guess I just find it weird how nobody seems to be using A-TW anymore, as if a manufacturer released a decent monitor with A-TW, and ideally without PWM, I think they'd clean up ... a lot of people here I think would really be interested in such a monitor. No IPS glow, no flicker... perfect angles.

Copying and pasting what I've posted before about A-TW:

A-TW polarizer does not come without a cost to image quality; it isn't made any more because the big-business color-critical customers did not like the A-TW's green/magenta glow at each corner of the display.

I wasn't around here back when the 2490 A-TW was discontinued, and am just wondering what was the official reason NEC gave for discontinuing use of the A-TW polarizer in any models? Was it simply a problem obtaining that part anymore? Or was it too expensive?

I'm mostly curious as I happened to be looking at Kindle Fire HDs, and noticed this little blurb:

Like many tablets, Kindle Fire HD uses In-Plane Switching (IPS) to improve color reproduction. But displays that only use IPS still appear washed out at various angles, such as laid sideways when reading in bed, laid flat on a table, or held between you and a friend when sharing a movie. Kindle Fire HD addresses this issue by applying an advanced polarizing filter directly to the LCD panel. This results in a display that shows the same deep contrast and rich, detailed color when viewed at any angle

And that sounds basically like the same thing as the A-TW polarizer used in a handful of 90 series NEC monitors. I wouldn't think it super expensive to add then, as if Amazon can afford to put it in a $200 tablet, how expensive can it be really? And evidently it's still possible to buy from a source somewhere.

I guess I just find it weird how nobody seems to be using A-TW anymore, as if a manufacturer released a decent monitor with A-TW, and ideally without PWM, I think they'd clean up ... a lot of people here I think would really be interested in such a monitor. No IPS glow, no flicker... perfect angles.

i have two 2690s for sale with the ATW polarizer
450 a piece + shipping

Hmm... well, I would think IPS glow which is white (and rather noticeable) would be considered much worse than minimal green/magenta glow. I have a 2490 w/ A-TW and haven't even noticed any green/magenta glow. It also doesn't stop a manufacturer from putting it into a consumer model either.

@UnrealCpu

Umm... okay.... not sure what that has to do with what I asked, however.

Back