What VPS do you use?

I know this is mostly just virtualization and not cloud computing, but hey, can't hurt to kick things off some more.

I've had stuff at UnixShell# , Linode, DigitalOcean, zetservers and finally I'm over at Bhost.

What are you using, and how have you liked the performance so far?

Being on Bhost has been good, the 1Gbps link has been useful. I've been moving a lot of app services over to it, like Huginn and Owncloud, freeing up resources on my stuff at home. It's nice to be able to shut down my stuff at home and still have access to everything.

I'm partial to Digital Ocean. Great uptime, bandwidth and latency for my applications.

Nothing major. CentOS instance running monitoring for my servers and clients servers.

I have one SSD instance on VPS.net; there are so many; I choose that vendor because of free SSL certificate. For the data crunching I have another dedicated root server. Not yet live though. In all cases I run CentOS.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a VPS provider that won't break the bank but allow for a 200GB+ storage. I don't need fast at all but I need a lot of it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a VPS provider that won't break the bank but allow for a 200GB+ storage. I don't need fast at all but I need a lot of it.

You might check out zetservers non-SSD offerings.
€19 for 400GB on spinners, 2C/2GB.

I've got a cheapo deal over at eithernetservers. $20/year for 1.5Gig of ram and 400Gig of disk.

They're likely a bit oversold though as it's occasionally slow as dirt. Don't expect any email to get through at all... they're hosted at colocrossing as far as I can tell, the provider that basically has their entire ip space on every email blacklist ever.

Did have two servers with DigitalOcean (absolutely loved them) but then got invited into Scaleway. Now got two servers with them, 1 running a dedicated TeamSpeak server for gaming friends and the other a seedhost. Can't complain for €8 a month for both boxes. Perfect uptime and great latency to me in the UK.

Both servers are the VC1S - 2 x86 64bit Cores, 2GB memory offering. Their C2 offerings are much higher but constantly out of stock :(

Yeah, that's my fear as well. I really enjoyed their motion controlpanel, and from what I've seen the Leaseweb seems clunky.

Not trying to threadjack but does anyone have a recommendation for a VPS that comes with WHM/cpanel?

I have a VDS with nfoservers.

I've had game / voice servers with them in the past and said fuck it a while ago and just opted to handle it myself.
2 core, 2gb ram, 200gb storage, 1gbit connection, 8 tb transfer threshhold.

It's like $17 a month and I have Debian set up on it, hosting a CS server, a website, and a mumble server.

I've never seen less than the full gbit, just tested and it pulled about 950 / 950. Support has always been within a couple minutes.

Lowendspirit

I have a VPS these locations:
  • Lenoir North Carolina / USA
  • Rotterdam / Netherlands
  • Dusseldorf / Germany
  • Sydney / Australia

Total cost for everything? $18/year

I use Digital Ocean for everything. Their backup thingy is great too.

I run Madgenius.com, so I use my own stuff. Sometimes I use a cheapo on lowendbox with SSD to screw with and check out the competition.

I use digitalocean for a corporate website and a complete stack (email/web) for a non-profit org.

I use linode for my personal stuff (web, email, monitoring, etc).
With the latest upgrade to 2GB for $20/month, I may move the other stuff to them.

linode is pretty good these days but digitalocean is where it is at imo.

@thread

Currently using a cheap KVM VPS with OVH for testing server software. The instance is sitting on flash, so even for pretty intensive DB stuff, it's pretty quick.

OVH's kimsufi line is pretty awesome for the money, cheap dedicated servers.

I've been happy with Vultr so far. I moved a lot of clients WordPress sites from their GoDaddy/Bluehost/HostGator/etc plans to Cloudways + Vultr and the increase in speed with the Vultr VPS and Cloudways WordPress optimized stack (memcached, varnish, nginx, etc) is incredible. I saw one website go from a 9.1s load time to 2.3s just by changing the hosting.

DigitalOcean has been great to me. You really can't beat the value for $5/month (base plan). Then again, I'm only using it as a simple node.js server for an Android game, so I can't speak for what happens when you put it under heavy load.
Also want to mention that DigitalOcean has amazing guides/tutorials that cover pretty much every topic you can think of. It really takes all of the guesswork out of setting up and configuring your server.

DigitalOcean. I have three VMs(two Apache, one Percona MySQL) with them. No issues... I've been with them for two years or so.

@thread

Currently using a cheap KVM VPS with OVH for testing server software. The instance is sitting on flash, so even for pretty intensive DB stuff, it's pretty quick.

I ended up picking up a tiny OVH and a small Scaleway instance, and the OVH instance seems pretty snappy. I like it. Scaleway is okay but the Atom cores are kind of sluggish.

Amazon recently started their cheap VPC starting 5 Euro month O_O For that money you get a Linux with root access backed up by Amazon cloud.

Knowing Amazon for their great business clouds I decided to try cheap VPC from them for personla projects and could not be happy. Though I only 2nd week with them slowly transferring all my BlueHost sites to them. So far it is great :) And better then BH though I was happy with BH as well.

https://amazonlightsail.com/pricing/

OVH user hear, for my last company we used them as a fail over node for our websites as they also have 10GB DDoS protection which gave us a buffer and time for other nodes to kick in when we would get attacked and time for Prolexic to kick in.

Back