• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What USB microphone for a speaker setup?

mrtheshaggy

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2003
Messages
1,209
I have a dac/amp/2.0 setup that I am loving. Need a microphone for online gaming. Don't want to have to use on-board sound, so USB is preferred. What do you recommend that isn't too big?
 
I've been researching mics myself, so:

Portable (small) condenser mics, below $50: Samson Go (10mm diaphragms, cardioid + omni, headphone jack, clip-mount, $36 at BHphoto), Samson meteorite (14mm), or Blue Snowflake (unknown diaphragm, but Blue uses 14mm often). The Samson Meteor mentioned below is also quite small.

Samson Go: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/samson-gomic.htm = review
http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/2p7in0/samson_go_mic_is_it_worth_it/ = soundcloud recording.
Samson Meteorite and Meteor: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samson-meteorite-review - meteorite = (14mm diaphragm, no headphone jack = no latency-free voice-monitoring) and meteor = (25mm diaphragm, jack, etc).

Regular condenser mics, below $75: Blue Snowball (cardioid + omni, under $50 shipped), CAD u37 (no headphone jack, under $50 shipped), Samson Meteor (tripod is integrated and short), Audio Technica ATR2500-USB (have heard durability complaints). The Samson meteor, CAD u37, and ATR2500 probably provide a little better sound quality: http://www.reddit.com/r/letsplay/comments/2qh9ut/samson_meteor_vs_blue_snowball/

Dynamic Cardioid mics, to pickup less background noise: Samson Q1u ($50, super cardioid pattern) or Q2u (adds headphone jack and... actual headphones, under $60) Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB ($60)
http://storycenter.org/blog/2014/2/11/your-first-microphone-a-review-of-atr2100-by-ryan-trauman - atr2100 review + explanation of merits of dynamic and condenser mics. It seems to me that dynamic mics require too close a speaking position... not sensitive enough, can't move around much.

Logitech c920 USB webcam: Yep... my friend just uses this for gaming, and it's pretty good. It was $50 around black friday, $60 for a while afterward, and $75 now. Attach to top of LCD.

I think you'd have to ditch the USB to get an acceptable mic for less. The non-portable mics produce noticeably better recordings, but more than $50 is a lot for just gaming. I wish the Antlion ModMic had a USB version with some sort of desktop stand for the same $50... that thing is pretty good.

I mentioned the above mics because people I know have vouched for them.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top