• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What UPS for this arrangement?

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
12,372
I think it's about time I protect my computer and audio equipment, especially since I'm living in an apartment complex built in 1989. I hate not having a UPS for my computer, but I've never been able to afford a good one. I need to get serious about it, but I nothing I come across has been able to convince me, so I need your help.

I do plan on getting one of these:
Tripp Lite LC1800 1800W Line Conditioner w/ IsPRar Protection 6 outlets 120V

So I won't outright need a UPS with VR, or power strips with surge protection. I'd like to get a UPS with plenty of power so I have more than a few minutes of backup power, as well as some future-proofing.

Are there any very solid UPS units without VR?

See sig. for equipment.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One is a UPS and one is a line cleaner, each does a different job.

I have tried the Cyber Power, ok, but not impressive. Tripp Lite makes good products but I have no experience with that unit.

Technically if you really want to do it right you should have both.

If you are going to only get one I suggest this instead:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500LCD..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=108ZYQ9J2SNXCQ7F26WE

Do some shopping for the APC, as a rule they can be had for less then that. :)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm already set on getting the line conditioner. I just can't decide on a UPS.
 
Due to funds, I might forgo the line conditioner for now and go with a UPS. I can't decide between the CyberPower 1350VA (810W) and 1500VA (900W).

I'm not looking for maximum uptime. Just enough to finish up and shut down. My main goals are to have cleaner power and to minimize the risk of data corruption.

Setup:
Rig in sig. (Kill-A-Watt hovers around 250W during STALKER)
19" monitor
Audioengine A5 speakers (70W peak)
Modem
DIR-655 router
Girlfriend's laptop

Things to come:
24" monitor
Subwoofer
WHS (pretty basic)
Web server (pretty basic)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm gonna go with the CyberPower 1350VA. Newegg has it for $140 shipped. Can't really beat that.

Is it okay to connect a surge protector to a UPS (either backup/surge or just surge) in case I need more outlets? I've read that it's bad (can spark and such) but also that people do it and have no problems. Any electrical engineers around who know the physics of it?
 
Is it okay to connect a surge protector to a UPS (either backup/surge or just surge) in case I need more outlets? I've read that it's bad (can spark and such) but also that people do it and have no problems. Any electrical engineers around who know the physics of it?

Anyone?

I doubt I'll have enough outlets for my primary computer, an upcoming web server, and my audio equipment. Plus other various small things.
 
Are you saying it's bad for both backup/surge and surge outlets? Or would it be okay to have a power strip in a surge-only outlet?
 
Are you saying it's bad for both backup/surge and surge outlets? Or would it be okay to have a power strip in a surge-only outlet?

Well its bad for both setups (surge not as bad though). I typed up and posted a big post about it a while ago. If you search you might be able to find it. If not I might have it at home.
 
I'll try searching for it.


There should be enough outlets for all my important equipment. I haven't gotten a subwoofer yet, but hopefully the one I get doesn't have a transformer plug.

Here's my likely plug setup:

Backup
1 - computer
2 - web server
3 - primary monitor
4 -

Surge
1 - bookshelf speakers
2 - subwoofer (hope it doesn't have a transformer)
3 - audio interface
4 - secondary monitor

Everything else can be connected to a surge protector from a wall outlet. Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything.
 
I don't think it's necessarily a bad plan use a power strip with an UPS. The key thing to remember is not to over tax the UPS you've purchased. You must be especially cognizant when configuring the battery backed outlets.

I have 2x CyberPower 1500ARVLCD units and a TripLite Omni1000. All have performed as expected allowing my server and other machines to gracefully shutdown.
 
Back
Top