What type(s) of Pagefile to use with multiple disks.

Raxiel

Gawd
I have a question about the windows pagefile I hope you guys can help me with.

I have done a forum search, and that answered most of the questions I originally had, but I have one left, concerning the best combination of none, fixed, or dynamic pagefiles with more than one physical disk.

Currently I have a single 250Gb SATA2 drive split into 3 partitions, c:\ with windows XP, d:\ with programs and games and e:\ with the 'my documents' folder. As it's started to fill up I've got my hands on another (identical) 250gb SATA drive and rather than just spill over into the new space I'm going to re-partition and re-install windows (long overdue).

My plan is to put c:\ and d:\ on one disk with a 40/210 split (I know some say there's no performance benefit to splitting OS and program files, but as long as it doesn't hurt performance, and I personally find it easier to navigate, it's what I'll do) and e:\ on its own on the other disk.

I want the pagefile on the second disk away from the os/games, but I'm not sure how I should arrange it, should I:

a) Set a small fixed file (or even no file) on c:\ with a dynamic file on e:\?
Or
b) One of the other (9) combinations of none/large/small/dynamic pagefiles on the two disks?

From what I've read so far on this forum I'm not particularly concerned about fragmentation, just parallel access of OS/game data and VM

I'll be upgrading to 2GB of system ram at the same time, so I know the thrashing of the hd whenever I alt tab out of games (for example) will be greatly reduced and the whole discussion may be moot, but I want to plan ahead.

Thanks.

I guess I vote a half-sized fixed page file on each physical drive. Fixed size can prevent resizing and fragmentation. Windows is supposed to prefer the one that is on a drive that is not busy at whatever given time.

set c:\ to no paging file. Depending on how much ram you have set the paging file on D;\ to something ~1024 - 4096 or 2048 - 4096

Back