What type of glue to use for fixing cracked pci-e slot/tab?

t3chgeek

Limp Gawd
I have a motherboard from a client where they had accidentally pulled their video card out without pulling the tab that locks the card in place. There is now a crack near the tab and the last pin section. The slot is still useable but I have a feeling it will eventually crack even more. Anyone here have a recommendation on which type of glue/adhesive to use to fix this?

^ this ... I use epoxy for some laptop chassis repairs because the replacement panels are $100+ sometimes when all I need is to fix cracks to prevent pinching or to hold DC jacks in place...

When working with epoxy, use painters' tape to mask off everything except the area you're working with... and be VERY... CAREFUL... if you get epoxy into the slot and onto the pins, you might as well buy a new board.

Once you set the epoxy and clamp it if necessary, leave it there to cure for at least two hours before removing your clamp, and let it cure for an additional two to four hours before testing it.

Let us know how it goes

If the tab is PVC or ABS, lacquer thinner will glue it very well, but if that solvent has no effect, the plastic is probably polyester, and nothing will work.

Back