What to use to clean LCD monitor?

I bought some stuff at Circuit City a few years ago called CleanDr screen cleaner. Works great on my LCDs with a soft lint free cloth.

I use water and a microfiber cloth. Works fine for me, though I haven't had little greasy children finger prints on it (the 46" inch gets that treatment, I don't even try to clean it since it would be dirty in 5 min) so I don't know how well it would work in that environment.

Any specified screen cleaning spray with a micro fibre cloth. I've personally used Fellowes products which seem well up to the job.

I've been using water and a cloth for non-greasy screens and windex and a cloth for dirtier/greasy screens.

LCD screens aren't near as fragile as they were when they were first released. The coatings have gotten much better.

Any LCD screen made in the last 7 years should not have a problem with windex.

(flamesuit on)

I've been using water and a cloth for non-greasy screens and windex and a cloth for dirtier/greasy screens.

LCD screens aren't near as fragile as they were when they were first released. The coatings have gotten much better.

Any LCD screen made in the last 7 years should not have a problem with windex.

(flamesuit on)

Still a terrible plan, the ammonia in the windex will discolor the coatings on the screen. I would never EVER recommend doing this.

I use a microfiber cloth w/ isopropyl/water.

I bought some stuff at Circuit City a few years ago called CleanDr screen cleaner. Works great on my LCDs with a soft lint free cloth.

That's what I use. The version I went with on Amazon came with a large bottle of spray and a larger than average lint free cloth.

Works great.

Yeah Windex is too harsh for your monitor. That's like putting your video card in the dishwasher :p

Still a terrible plan, the ammonia in the windex will discolor the coatings on the screen. I would never EVER recommend doing this.

I use a microfiber cloth w/ isopropyl/water.

Windex hasn't had ammonia in it in years.

They claim it has their in house "ammonia" something or other in it. If you pull up the MSDS on it, it's just a fragrance added to it to smell that way.

Windex hasn't had ammonia in it in years.

They claim it has their in house "ammonia" something or other in it. If you pull up the MSDS on it, it's just a fragrance added to it to smell that way.

Well it seems you are correct. Looks like just Isopropyl and some other stuff.

I still have some wet tissues from my old monitor but will they damage my screen?
I ask this because they were orignaly designed for CRT screens.

I use isopropyl and microfiber cloth as well. Though I dislike the streak marks it leaves behind. Anything recommended to avoid streaks?

I use isopropyl and microfiber cloth as well. Though I dislike the streak marks it leaves behind. Anything recommended to avoid streaks?

You can use a 50:50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol and then finish up by drying it with a new dry microfiber cloth as soon as possible to buff out the streaks. That usually does the trick.

Why do you use some weird chemicals? Just a microfiber cloth and water does the trick.

Eyeglasses cleaner + a microfiber cloth leaves absolutely no streak marks on every type of screen I have tested it on.
I dont know exactly what glasses cleaner is, but it does a fucking awesome job and I have yet to see any ill effects...

Monster ScreenCleaner!

I used that stuff on my 17" Acer monitor. When I went to put the rag away and came back it was a 55" Samsung and had like 20 HDMI inputs behind it. I recommend it!

In all seriousness I usually just use a microfiber cloth with a bit of water.

Water and microfiber cloth FTW. Works better than this LCD Cleaner I bought.

I use a water/alcohol mixture that barely wets a microfiber cloth every few months. No drips.

I use windex. Havn't had any issues with it to date ,but YMMV and AYOR.

I only use a microfiber cloth now. I used to use some isopropyl alchohol "lens wipes", but a good microfiber cloth is cheap and should work even without water. I don't think water is always the best anyway, since apparently you can remove the anti glare coating on many monitors just with some water, paper towels, and time.

If your screen has an AG coat, use water or a 50/50 water alcohol mix or less, with a microfiber cloth. I've seen AG coats melt with striaght 70% alcohol.

Or, from Dell"
To clean your antistatic screen, lightly dampen a soft, clean cloth with water. If possible, use a special screen-cleaning tissue or solution suitable for the antistatic coating. Do not use benzene, thinner, ammonia, abrasive cleaners, or compressed air.
Use a lightly-dampened, warm cloth to clean the plastics. Avoid using detergent of any kind as some detergents leave a milky film on the plastics.
If you notice a white powder when you unpack your monitor, wipe it off with a cloth. This white powder occurs during the shipping of the monitor.
Handle your monitor with care as darker-colored plastics may scratch and show white scuff marks more than lighter-colored monitor.

If your screen has an AG coat, use water or a 50/50 water alcohol mix or less, with a microfiber cloth. I've seen AG coats melt with striaght 70% alcohol.

If alcohol is melting the AG coat, why the hell would you use any, no matter how much you dilute it?

at least 90% of screen cleaners contain alcohol, its safe, just in smaller amounts, and no i didn't mean it melted right off, bit exaggerated, it got cloudy at first and then it started to smear and just get messy, basically screwed. This was on a 2007 NEC i believe.

Water is fine, alcohol just makes it less streaky and less messy overall. I personally use 40% alcohol 60% water. Always use at your own risk.

at least 90% of screen cleaners contain alcohol, its safe, just in smaller amounts, and no i didn't mean it melted right off, bit exaggerated, it got cloudy at first and then it started to smear and just get messy, basically screwed. This was on a 2007 NEC i believe.

Water is fine, alcohol just makes it less streaky and less messy overall. I personally use 40% alcohol 60% water. Always use at your own risk.

Yeah all mentioned is good but I think with what you dry it afterward makes the difference. Almost like a window. A lot of stuff can clean it its the drying. Some stuff leave marks and streaks. I personally use newspaper to dry it

I've also used the Isopropyl & water method with a microfiber cloth. Worked great. There were some streaks left, but some added attention ("buffing") brought them out.

Back