what to use for VPN instead of using the domain controller

FLATcura

Weaksauce
Hi,

my company is not for profit so we dont have the most excellent of equipment, but we manage.
Currently we have a domain controller running windows 2000 server.
right now the domain controller is set up to be the vpn sever as well.
the new goal is to have a second sever for a new financial program they wish to use, and i have been pre-informed that it will only require VPN and terminal services for the users in the other buildings to access it. its essentialy a database program with a sql2005 back end. but this will be storing crucially important information. so just throwing it on the network as is, and using my current vpn is not an option. mostly because we expect as much as 20 concurrent connections at a time, and they want it to be seamless. also the 2000 server is almost topped out on its licenses. so having 20 bodies from different buildings connecting to it just for the purposes of VPN will definatly top it out.

What i would LIKE, is to have a separate network within the building. One that i can allow the users who need access to the program in the building can connect, but others cannot, and then the users in other buildings and at home who should be able to connect can vpn in. and not be on the companys main network, maybe this is stupid, and any critisizm is welcome.

but for a VPN, i was thinking of setting aside an old pIII 866, and have that act as the vpn server and a firewall, then should i have
modem - router - switch - domain controller - VPN server - switch

it is also a consideration to have a separate internet connection JUST for the VPNs because this is high priority stuff with this program..

so have
modem - VPN Server - Finance Server (second NIC) - Switch(of the main network)
that way it is joined back into the network for the users in the building to have access without having to VPN out and back in again..

sorry this is so long, but the company has never had an IT person before so they have high hopes and expectations.. but i think i may be in over my head here..

Take that P3 866 and slap on a *nix distro router...such as Endian or IPCop w/Copfilter...have it be your primary router. Expose port 3389 for remote desktop access to the terminal server, or have them VPN into the router first..then RDC to the TS box.

Or..since you're non-profit...upgrade to SBS2K3 from TechSoup.org for about a hundred bucks....use RWW to the TS box.

thanks for the quick response :)

sbs2k3, would you be suggesting that on the 866? wouldent small business server kick the crap out of it?

so have the sbs2k3 box act as my vpn sever and beef it up with a good firewall. then it could use terminal services to connect to the finance server box (sql server)?

so outside users would VPN (same as remote web workplace? i'll look it up :p) to the 2bs2k3 box and then use terminal services to connect to the finance server. should it be on the same network as my domain? would i have to set up the sbs2k3 box as an additional DC or keep the networks separate and have the finance box given a second network card for which to allow access from the other network..

man i need to go back to school :p

sbs2k3, would you be suggesting that on the 866? wouldent small business server kick the crap out of it?

No no....not SBS2K3 on an 866...I thought you mean the 866 was a second box you wanted to put something on. I meant..replace/upgrade your current 2K DC with SBS2K3.

RWW would replace the VPN for remote access to terminal server.

hehe gotcha,

well the best solution i am thinking, is to beef up the current server and use it for all applications, i want to run a stress test on it, to see if it will buckle..

but it currently is
A Domain Controller
DNS Server
File Server
*Pervasive/SQL server 4 user max
VPN (poorly setup)

and could also have
*Raisers Edge Server (Mostly Access Front End) 2 concurrent user max
*QuadrantHR payroll software with MS SQL2005 (or newer) up to 20 users

Do you think this is too much for the one server to handle? I could look at getting a Hardware VPN Box/Firewall and have that between the router and the switch. (take the vpn stress off the server)

Basically in a dream world i am expected to have up to 3 programs (marked with a *)accessable via VPN (or RWW). as far as the *nix box you suggested before, i do know people who are amazing with linux, but i myself am definatly still a beginner with it.. but if it was a sort of flick the switch and run deal, i could manage.. wow im writing a lot, im gonna have to answer a lot of other peoples questions to make up for this :p

thanks

Back