• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to upgrade to?

Cook_1

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
1,250
So I can never afford the latest and greatest technology. So I usually buy a generation or two behind, used (on these forums or others like them) for a great deal and then use that rig for years.

I've been on my current rig for years...can't really recall how many, 3-5 perhaps. With some new games coming out I'm looking to upgrade. I mainly play MMORPGs (currently playing Tera/FFXIV) but also do other games like Fallout (have 4 already on pre-order!). My preference will always be towards the later however and since the RPGs aren't all that hard on the hardware looking for something I can OC and make it last a couple of years...like my current rig has.

So, onto my current rig specs!

CPU: i7 860 @3.8GHz
CPU Cooling: Corsair H100
Motherboard: DFI LANParty DK P55-T3eH9
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 1600
HD: 2 x 640GB WD Black RAID 0
PSU: Corsair HX850
Case: Corsair 600T

Haven't been following the latest releases so not really sure what gen I should skip to. Thinking I could maybe reuse some of what I currently have and just upgrade my CPU/Motherboard, Drives (go with a SSD), GPU and that should do me. Just not sure what I should be looking at...suggestions please and thank you.
 
id go with a Intel i7 4790k, and a r9 390 or a gtx 980( there not cheap)

whatever motherboard you want not arguing over asus gigabyte or msi stuff just saying

keep everything else but go with a Nice ssd samsung 240 gig and keep you other platter drives for backup \games

Id hold off on Win 10 for a while to Win 7 64 is still kicking ass
 
Keep in mind of you go Skylake you'll need new RAM, DDR4.

Honestly, if you're running at 1080P I'd pick up a new GPU, a SSD, and see how the CPU is treating you. Go all out if budget will allow -- GTX 980Ti runs ~$630+, depending on model/cooler/clocks. A 240/256GB SSD is like $100 any more, sometimes less. If you find the CPU is holding you back too much, look in FS/FT for someone's CPU/mobo combo. Lots of people dumping great parts lately for Skylake.
 
I'd start with the GPU and SSD then see how the CPU fares.

For the GPU a 970/980 or 390/390X would be great for 1080p
 
I'd wait on the CPU upgrade. If Fallout 4 is just another warmed-over Skyrim engine with fancy new graphics options like it's been rumored, it will not be too cpu-hungry.

See here, where a stock-clocked i5 760 gets over 80fps in Skyrim:

http://techreport.com/review/23750/amd-fx-8350-processor-reviewed/5

With your overclock, it's comparable to a stock-clocked i7 2600k, which as you can see is no slouch in that game. Wait for release day benchmarks for Fallout 4 before you jump the gun on a new CPU.

Just stick with GPU and SSD for now.

If you play at 1080p, get a GTX 970. That will be enough to max out most games for some time. This one is actually on sale right now!:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487086

And a ~500GB SSD can be had for under $160:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148946&cm_re=bx100-_-20-148-946-_-Product
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, didn't realize my CPU was still "in-the-hunt" considering how old it is. But I guess a nicely OC'd i7 can last, especially when you play the type of games I do.

Just stick with GPU and SSD for now.

If you play at 1080p, get a GTX 970. That will be enough to max out most games for some time. This one is actually on sale right now!:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487086

And a ~500GB SSD can be had for under $160:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148946&cm_re=bx100-_-20-148-946-_-Product

It's funny that you link that as I got the Newegg newsletter this morning and saw that card and the price on that SSD and that's exactly why I came here and made this thread. It seems that a few GTX 970s are on sell from that link - which is the best bang for the buck?
 
Of the EVGA cards from that link, assuming the promo code or whatever applies to them all this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487086 is the best deal. $320. Not worth it for any of the higher stock clocked ones -- you can OC it yourself just fine. That one, with the dual fan cooler, is actually cheaper than the stock blower style card, even.

That said, I'd pick up this Zotac for $297, unless the promo code makes the EVGA cheaper - http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce...e=UTF8&qid=1446845166&sr=1-6&keywords=gtx+970

EDIT: Newegg has the same Zotac card for $289.99 before promo, -11.60 with promo, final price $278.39 shipped. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

Unless the EVGA card is way cheaper after promo (I doubt it?) or you just really hate Zotac for some reason, pocket that $50.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the advice guys, didn't realize my CPU was still "in-the-hunt" considering how old it is. But I guess a nicely OC'd i7 can last, especially when you play the type of games I do.



It's funny that you link that as I got the Newegg newsletter this morning and saw that card and the price on that SSD and that's exactly why I came here and made this thread. It seems that a few GTX 970s are on sell from that link - which is the best bang for the buck?

Your call: EVGA has the best US warranty service. But that don't have the quietest 970 cooler on the market. But it does have the advantage of being shorter than all the other cards.

The other cards (Strix, MSI., Gigabyte) are about 20 bucks more. And I can't comment on Zotac.
 
I've been super happy with my Zotac 980Ti AMP!s so far (granted I've had them only a few days), and I've known a few people to pick up their cards without issue in the past. Can't speak to their warranty / RMA service as I've never had to use it, but at least on paper it's the same 5 years of coverage you'd get from EVGA. (2 years no matter what, extended to 5 years if you register the card within 30 days)
 
Last edited:
If i'd be in your place i would only change the gpu with a used but under warranty 980.

If you also want to go for a new platform, i would pick Skylake i5 6400 (the 4790K will NOT give you any benefit in gaming, same thing applies for the 6600k but given the small price difference you can go for it).

So, if you have money to burn, you will find a 980 at roughly 360$, a 6600k for 220$, a good Z170 mb for 130$ and a kit of 8gb (16 gb will also not help you while gaming) for 50$. That brings you to a total of ~750$ for a mean gaming machine.

Regarding the SSD, you have a Raid already and i think there is no use in getting one.

You will probably get around 350$ for your components so the effort brings you to around 400$.

I'd say it's worth it :)

Cheers
 
Back
Top