• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What to upgrade next?

IM [H]ard

Gawd
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Messages
820
Hi.

Well I have some new components on my mind, and these will be added to the computer in the sig in hopes of noticing a difference.

1.Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 Level II Dual Pack - Retail. I consider myself lucky to have gotten my memory maxed out at 219fsb at 3.2v and at 3 3 3 8, considering it's 100% stable and there is a stick of 2700 in there. I would do this to tighten timings and reduce voltage, and possibly get higher with the new memory.

2.Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only. I would run two of these in performance striping raid. I would have more space, and be blazingly fast at loading things.

In addition I will be adding an Antec 400 watt power supply to this as my current seems to be struggling as it is.

So, .... One, or two? Which will give me a noticeable feel? thanks all...later:)
 
Well I thought I was gonna "feel" more speed with the raptors, but it appears if I want the mushkin, I better get it soon. Gonna see if I can pick up some of the 3500 instead though. Any other thoughts would be very useful. Thanks...later:)
 
Personally I'd go for the two raptors. I only have 2 WD800JB's in RAID-0 and I noticed quite a difference in loading time for apps and games compared to just 1.... I could only imagine what those two suckers would do. :D
 
Get the 73 gig Raptors and then raid them together.
 
I wouldn't bother upgrading your PSU unless you're having serious stability issues. I really don't think you'd get a huge boost going with the Mushkin ram really, probobly the biggest boost you'll get is going with the RAID'd Raptors.
 
I had gotten the mushkin level 2 1gig set(2x512) 3500. Well woulden't you know as soon as I ordered my set, they were no longer listed on newegg, that was close. I can always get the raptors later, they are not really in short supply as the bh5 chips are.

I do need a new power supply as the fans I have eat up allot of juice. If I turn the fan controllers up on all of them, my pc will crash and or reboot.
You can see what I am talking about here.

...later:)
 
Back
Top