What to upgrade my gaming rig. Confused by all the newest tech.

eclypse

2[H]4U
I've had a budget gaming rig the past 2 years and I'm ready to build a new gaming rig.. way too confused with all the new tech out there.

Give me some guidance please!

What do I need and what don't I need?

I'm all for fast and the latest and greatest but don't want to blow money stupidly..

So far I'm planning on upgrading from a Asus 1150 mb w/ 16gb ddr3 ram with a 4790k cpu with gigabyte g1 980 sli to I'm feeling a gtx 1080 or 2.

Wouldn't mind a 8 core cpu but if I don't need it and can settle with another quad core or go with a 6 core I will.

Normally I'd wait till winter but last time I built one after Christmas they came out with the 980 ti like a month afterwards. :/

Runing the newest rog swift 27" 160fps monitor. So I'd like to peg 144 fps at least at 1440. ;)

Well if I will experience a speed increase over what I have for one..

Also what's the difference between the newer sockets 1051 and 2011-3?

Stay away from the 6950x as it won't benefit gaming? 6700-6800?

>>I'm all for fast and the latest and greatest but don't want to blow money stupidly..

You will get nine different opinions on this, but here's my input:

Keep the mobo/RAM/CPU you have and add a GTX 1080 and then see where you're at.
I think the performance will be right up there where you need it without all of the heavy-duty
hex core CPUs etc.

Then again, I tend to skip generations of CPUs & GPUs until there is a solid performance
improvement for the large investment.

Thanks for that.. decided to just try a 1080 with my rig and see what's up.. well 2 heh.

Just a quick update..

Just grabbed 2 zotac amp 1080s and a new 1000watt evga p/s just encase my 750 watt super nova don't take kindly to them.. 980s over clocked worked fine but read something like 300+ watts per card so don't feel like taking a chance.

Was at micro center for 2 evga 1080 ftw cards but of course the site said they had 5 and the salesman said they must of sold this morning.

He did say that management would not allow them to buy the cards till recently so now I know who bought them! Lol

See how these play.. can exchange them if I see the ftw come back in stock.

Only thing I can add is for you to get an NVME drive for your games. Blows away RAID SSDs and not as risky as 4x RAID0.

Only thing I can add is for you to get an NVME drive for your games. Blows away RAID SSDs and not as risky as 4x RAID0.

I'll have to check if I can fit one on the motherboard.. question though, I can use one on still as I'm already runing 16 lanes already plus a 4x creative Labs sound card?

I think it should work on a PCI riser card as well. I ran it on my 4790k box without issue - but not sure about the sound card. I use built in sound. No sound card is worth wasting 4 pci lanes IMO - I'd rather sink money into quality headphones or speakers instead.

I think it should work on a PCI riser card as well. I ran it on my 4790k box without issue - but not sure about the sound card. I use built in sound. No sound card is worth wasting 4 pci lanes IMO - I'd rather sink money into quality headphones or speakers instead.

My motherboard didn't have an optical out so I needed a sound card with it to hook up to the reciecer for 5.1 sound.

Oh boy now I just discovered vr. Now what to do? Go with just one 1080 and exchange the other for a htc Vive? Or keep the 2nd 1080 for sli for the future games coming out in a few months like Titan fall 2 and battlefield 1?

Do I installed the 2ns card last night and now the first 1080 is cooking at 80-82 under heavy load. :/

Before with just a single 1080 the highest tempt I seen was 64 under heavy stress.

I only have a single slot gap between the cards with this 1150 Asus mb.

Would be pretty expensive to upgrade to a 1151 or 2011-3 socket mb with new cpu and new ddr4 ram just to get a little more space (2 slots) best. :/

Is there any real gains going with a 6 core cpu and ddr4 for gaming? Overkill with a 2011-3?

Also seen a pci express riser card that would allow one to move a graphics card to a non pcix 16 slot but would that work?? Heard some say you need external power as a x1 would not provide the extra power like a Xi or x16 slot would.

First off you can get powered x16 pci express ribbons, or even hack in power if you are careful on the crappy chinese ones. And spacing out those cards might help a bit so that they can get clean air. Another option would be to get a blower style 1080, or even water cool the cards. It does look like your case is massive so you might be able to get more air in there or pull more out depending on you fan configuration.

These are real nice but not cheap
These are cheap and have power

Just my 2c though ;)

First off you can get powered x16 pci express ribbons, or even hack in power if you are careful on the crappy chinese ones. And spacing out those cards might help a bit so that they can get clean air. Another option would be to get a blower style 1080, or even water cool the cards. It does look like your case is massive so you might be able to get more air in there or pull more out depending on you fan configuration.

These are real nice but not cheap
These are cheap and have power

Just my 2c though ;)

Thanks for the reply..

After looking at my case and mother board I can't see where I'd move the card with using a riser and still be able to mount it. :/

Last night I did a lot of testing. A slapped a single 120mm fan on top of the cards since my motherboard is flat in this case. The cards outer case is just perfect to do this and the whimpy cheap fan runing at 1650rpm managed to lower the tempt to the first card from 84 c to mid 70s.. max I seen during the same bench was 77c. I've even have a 140mm fan blowing at them from the end.Mounted since the 980sli.

Was afraid the fan would crawl but it held still.

Also tried it with the side open and it was worse.

Currently I have a 240 rad blowing in from the front of the case as the only fan intake and many 140mm fans at the top and back blowing out.. prob can lower Temps further if I just mount the radio at the top blowing the heat out. Though that wont be easy.. I'd rather redue the water cooling and grab dual 360 rads and mount them in the top and have the cards water cooled as well.. but I've always done that in the past and it's such a waste of money and time buying water blocks for via cards. Resale you take a huge loss.

I've had a budget gaming rig the past 2 years and I'm ready to build a new gaming rig.. way too confused with all the new tech out there.

Give me some guidance please!

What do I need and what don't I need?

I'm all for fast and the latest and greatest but don't want to blow money stupidly..

So far I'm planning on upgrading from a Asus 1150 mb w/ 16gb ddr3 ram with a 4790k cpu with gigabyte g1 980 sli to I'm feeling a gtx 1080 or 2.

Wouldn't mind a 8 core cpu but if I don't need it and can settle with another quad core or go with a 6 core I will.

Normally I'd wait till winter but last time I built one after Christmas they came out with the 980 ti like a month afterwards. :/

Runing the newest rog swift 27" 160fps monitor. So I'd like to peg 144 fps at least at 1440. ;)

i was going to recommend a budget build using a 1060 and the i5 - non K instead of the 4790k. But it seems you DO want to spend money haha. looks good to me..

Back