What to study first

CeD

Limp Gawd
Hi all:

I would like to start studying some books that I have:

1) Windows 2000 server
2) CCNA
3) Redhat 7.2

I am not sure in which order I should go though. Which book would you guys recommend starting with?

Also, is Windows 2003 Server similar enough to 2000 Server so that I would be okay?

Or do I need to get a 2003 Server book?

I guess Redhat 7.2 is outdated as well… what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
-Cedric

I would say start with the CCNA because you can actually read most of it like a text book. I'm pretty sure most of the CCNA is more text reading then actually hands on material, but I could be wrong. I know CCNA has some hands on stuff like commands, but for the most part I think you can read the book without needing to play with a box or network hardware most of the time.

Windows 2000/3 and Redhat will probably require you to setup the OS's on a box so you can follow along with the book and get the most knowledge from the readings. This will most likely take a long time to go through if you are reading and playing with the stuff as you read.

Alright I will definately start with CCNA then. I have purchased the SemSim simulator.

As for the server book -- do you guys think it's ok to study on a win2k server box with a win2k server book? Or are there many differences making 2003 server a must?

CeD said:
Alright I will definately start with CCNA then. I have purchased the SemSim simulator.

As for the server book -- do you guys think it's ok to study on a win2k server box with a win2k server book? Or are there many differences making 2003 server a must?

The answer to your question really is what do you want to work on/specialize in?

CCNA, Win2k or Win2k3, and Redhat are very dissimilair.

Do you want to be a Windows Server keyboard jockey? A Linux Guru? or the guy who plays with all the wires and the boxes with the shiny lights on it..

That's your determining factor, IMHO

Win2003 is not a 'must' but as microsoft is close approaching phasing support for 2000 out, it will be soon enough.

I understand that they are much different. I'd like to have a little background in each though before specializing in a particular one.

Hell, I'd read 'em all. But if I had to pick an order, I'd say the Server 2k book, then the CCNA book. The Red Hat book is pretty old, and if you are looking for a job, there are a LOT more Windows jobs than networking jobs, and a lot more networking jobs than Linux server admin jobs.

Either the Server 2k book and the CCNA will likely be more in depth than you really need/want, but will be a great first step.

Back