What to Expect from Desktop Graphics in 2011

HardOCP News

[H] News
PC Perspective has posted a quick and dirty editorial today that lets you know "What to Expect from Desktop Graphics in 2011." Here's a quote to get you started:

2011 may not be nearly as exciting for users as this past 1.5 years has been, but it will likely have a few surprises from not just AMD and NVIDIA, but also Intel and their latest integrated graphics in the upcoming Sandy Bridge series of parts. From all indications, it will shake up the integrated stronghold that AMD has kept with the 880G/890GX parts. We also will see the first Fusion parts from AMD gain a foothold in the market, and hopefully a much more robust desktop CPU/GPU combination with Llano in a timely manner.

The benches I saw on some Chinese site for the Intel integrated HD G2000 were about average for what you would expect from integrated graphics, in other words, they sucked for gaming.

i thought i read rumours that the 28nm process has been delayed and if that is the case, won't the graphics in 2011 be pretty boring for discrete cards?

If 28nm is ready enough to see cards in 2H 2011, we could see some impressive gains in the desktop world. 40nm to 28nm is a significant leap.

The initial benchmarks for Sandy Bridge graphics is about double the current i5 cpu's.
Not good enough for any high end gaming, but good enough for WOW and below.
The main complaint about Sandy Bridge is the new socket, I really hate having to replace a good motherboard just to get a slightly better CPU. Hopefully this will bring down the prices of the 1156 cpu's and boards.

With WOW's upgrades to textures and spell details, combined with large environments and number of characters on screen, it really isn't a slouch when it comes to video card needs.

That article was dam near useless...I'd like my 3 minutes back please.

What he said! A great big Meh!

2011 in my mind will be the most exciting year in nearly a decade. Intel has gotten off it's behemoth lumbering slow as mollasses in Winter resistant to change ass and we owe it all to AMD. AMD has finally gotten off it's Intel nearly crushed us breaking every conceivable law doing so and we survived ass to bring out the most radically different CPU architecture since they invented 64 bit extensions and onboard memory controllers. Graphic cards will make the process change from 40 to 28 nm which will totally kick ass. LED backlit LCD monitors will continue to become mainstream and multimonitor gaming will become easier and more common place. SSD's will get bigger and their prices will continue to get smaller. In other words, 2011 will be kick ass for computer hardware and I'm very excited about the coming months. :D

What he said! A great big Meh!

2011 in my mind will be the most exciting year in nearly a decade. Intel has gotten off it's behemoth lumbering slow as mollasses in Winter resistant to change ass and we owe it all to AMD. AMD has finally gotten off it's Intel nearly crushed us breaking every conceivable law doing so and we survived ass to bring out the most radically different CPU architecture since they invented 64 bit extensions and onboard memory controllers. Graphic cards will make the process change from 40 to 28 nm which will totally kick ass. LED backlit LCD monitors will continue to become mainstream and multimonitor gaming will become easier and more common place. SSD's will get bigger and their prices will continue to get smaller. In other words, 2011 will be kick ass for computer hardware and I'm very excited about the coming months. :D

This is very optimistic at best and I guess a case of the glass is half full mentality and that's fine but not how I see it. Intel integrated graphics go from utter dismal shit to just passable for most flash based shit and maybe 3d checkers, that's great. Real world performance from intels new sandy bridge is meh at best. That is until, we see some real hard NON engineering sample cpu's with real world overclocking results and then compare the real world results in gaming to I7 cpu's. IMO the change will come with socket 2011 possibly. Nvidia and AMD's new GPU process changing to 28nm will be badass but probably not happen this year. There's a slim chance we might see something late late q4 2011 but not likely. LCD monitors with led backlights? really? That's exciting? <.> K I guess o_O Instead where are the 30" 120hz IPS panels?? So those of us who would like to try 3d vision possibly can do so and not buy pos tn panel. SSD's yes that has to the potential to get better in so far as money per gig goes yes I'll give you that.

I don't know I just don't see it like such a big deal. /shrug

Right now with the delay in 32/28nm I'm not expecting much out of 2011 in the graphics hardware department.

What I really want to see are the games!!! Hell, it's what I've wanted to see for the past 10 years.

With WOW's upgrades to textures and spell details, combined with large environments and number of characters on screen, it really isn't a slouch when it comes to video card needs.

Yeah its quite amusing at what some people think the requirements are to max out WOW.

Yeah its quite amusing at what some people think the requirements are to max out WOW.

I agree. It gets old seeing threads asking for graphics card suggestions and seeing replies like "I've never played it before but you should be able to run WOW on max graphics with a P4 and integrated graphics".

I hope 2011 will bring out 28nm, TSMC really fucked over ATI and NVIDIA by scrapping 32nm and going to 28nm by causing delays.

So far I'm not impressed with NVIDIA's and ATI's latest offerings.

I'm not consenting how the thread was almost derailed by the non-existent IGP question, but that comment above is DAMN funny(yet so true):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I hope 2011 will bring out 28nm, TSMC really fucked over ATI and NVIDIA by scrapping 32nm and going to 28nm by causing delays.

So far I'm not impressed with NVIDIA's and ATI's latest offerings.

I wonder if it was in response to AMD's choice to fab the southern islands series at their spin off company Globalfoundries, or maybe the new fab choice is in response to TSMC wrecking plans. Either way I bet prices on the 6000 series are as cheap as they are because the 32nm premium isn't there.

The 28nm process is going to bring some nice improvements in processing power. It will be awesome if tessellation wasn't such a performance hit.

I wonder if it was in response to AMD's choice to fab the southern islands series at their spin off company Globalfoundries, or maybe the new fab choice is in response to TSMC wrecking plans. Either way I bet prices on the 6000 series are as cheap as they are because the 32nm premium isn't there.

The 28nm process is going to bring some nice improvements in processing power. It will be awesome if tessellation wasn't such a performance hit.

AFAIK SI is going to be built at TSMC, only Fusion is going to GF

Back