What to do?

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
So I decided to build a new desktop with the gift cards I got for Xmas. I picked up a 970, an evga 500w psu, 8 gigs of ram, and a corsair af 240 case. I have a gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard and a low grade chip (not sure if pentium or celeron, bought 2nd hand from dposcorp, but have since deleted the pms) I am out of thermal paste so I don't want to take the heatsink off to check.

Anyway, I hadn't ever really thought about using the board, but I realized that it is the right form factor for the case, so the question is this...

In the search for a processor, do I just get something like a 3770k,and put it in the existing mobo(can that chipset overclock that chip?)

Or do I get a new mobo and a 4690k?

My assumption is that the second option will be around 50 to 75 dollars more expensive.

Thoughts?

In benchmarks the 3770k (8 threads) seems to trade blows with the 4690k (4 threads). It's all in the noise for gaming. The 3770k does about -2% worse than the 4690k.

On multithreaded applications (utilizing 8 threads) the 3770k should slaughter the 4690k. I personally do a lot of encoding so the 3770k would be more appealing to me if I already had the mobo.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k

Thanks for the link Dayaks.

Any idea if I can OC the 3770 on that motherboard? I missed that whole generation of chips, so I don't know if it's doable or not.

Back