• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do?

intogamer

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
2,194
Exactly last year I received a white macbook as a gift. It's been through much wear and tear, still working. Over the lifetime it required a DVD slot rom replacement. Now there's a dead line pixel in the LCD. I am going to bring it to the Genius bar this afternoon.


I plan on keeping it, but upgrading the Ram and HDD is needed soon. I'm on 1GB RAM. and 80GB HDD. Instead spend the $175 on hardware upgrades? or Double the amount for 2 Years additional warranty and upgrades.

Macbook(GMA950) prices are already falling. Also, I would get the apple care from ebay for $175~


$800~ - Used price
$175~ - Apple Care
$150~ - Hard Drive and Memory Upgrade (possibly mini DVI > DVI adapter)

$1125~ - Valuation


I"ll probably need a new battery too?

I could probably snatch an older MBP for additional $$ when the new one comes out.

But I'm preferring ultra portable laptops. Then I could easily carry it everywhere including to school.,. The macbook is about 1.5lbs too much of a hassle...
 
If you're having that many problems already, definately renew the warranty. They're going to make any replacements with refurbished parts, so just take that into consideration. You can upgrade the ram for CHEAP and wait on the HDD.

If you think the mb is too much hassle, don't buy a pro. I love the video power of my pro but rarely ever use it. I've been almost wishing I had bought a regular macbook.

Other than that, thanks for the mention about apple care on ebay, I will have to look into that when this one gets nearer to a year. You may want to double check that with apple though? maybe.
 
Yeah, maybe I could get a nice completely refurbed replacement.

The regular macbook isn't much lighter. 5.2lbs + charger and mouse

I think it might be better to upgrade it and pawn it off with warranty expired.
 
Back
Top