What to do with this old school computer?

Gary King

Limp Gawd
I have a PC that's about, erm, at least 6 years old. It runs a P1 233 mhz and about 64 mb RAM (yeah, I know, it's ownage :p)

Screenshot is here:

Very old, but hey, I like the wiring job :)

Set it up as a folding box...set it to timeless work units, and let it go to work!

Can it handle a K-6-2 300...you pay shipping and I'll send the cpu to you...may fold a bit better.

MD

MD_Willington said:
Can it handle a K-6-2 300...you pay shipping and I'll send the cpu to you...may fold a bit better.

MD
It's a Pentium box. You better send the mobo too. ;)

BigBadBiologist said:
K6-2's and pentiums shared mobos.

Boards that could use a K6-2 were SUPER Socket 7. Any Pentium 1 in Socket 7 will work in a Super Socket 7 board. But a Super Socket 7 chip like a K6-2 CAN NOT work in a Pentium 1 board, which is REGULAR Socket 7. You will have to send him the board too .. or not only will the chip not work, but it will probably be fried by the higher voltage the Pentium 1 takes, while a Super Socket 7 board would autodetect it, a regular 7 will NOT.

That was confusing, wasn't it? Long story short, send the board with the CPU or it won't work. And make sure the power supply is sufficient!

MeanieMan said:
Fold fool, FOLD!

A Pentium 1 at 133 MHz will not finish work units on time at all. It's not worth the waste of electricity unless he just wants his house warmed a bit.

Epicenter said:
A Pentium 1 at 133 MHz will not finish work units on time at all. It's not worth the waste of electricity unless he just wants his house warmed a bit.

Wow, way to go on them there reading skills.
Read the first (original) post, then read the second post.
Now hit yourself in the head for being stupid.

Epicenter said:
Boards that could use a K6-2 were SUPER Socket 7. Any Pentium 1 in Socket 7 will work in a Super Socket 7 board. But a Super Socket 7 chip like a K6-2 CAN NOT work in a Pentium 1 board, which is REGULAR Socket 7. You will have to send him the board too .. or not only will the chip not work, but it will probably be fried by the higher voltage the Pentium 1 takes, while a Super Socket 7 board would autodetect it, a regular 7 will NOT.

That was confusing, wasn't it? Long story short, send the board with the CPU or it won't work. And make sure the power supply is sufficient!

Yeah. ;)

Epicenter said:

Look at the board. It takes SDRAM. It's a 233MHz. I don't think they made non MMX 233s, so that means that the board will support dual voltage CPUs like the K6-2. Most likely, I K6-2 will work fine (although there are probably jumpers that need to be changed). It may not support 100Mhz FSB, but the multipliers are unlocked, so it doesn't matter.

what you should do is this. go to a discreet location, sledgehammer in hand, and explore the wonderful world of physics. the experience is worth more than the computer, for sure.

Of losing such a high-powered piece of hardware ;)

[Edit:] Gah, missed epicenter's post by 2 others. Was in response to his anyway.

The K-6-2 300 was on a GA-586T2

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_GA-586T2.htm

Processor
# Intel Pentium®/MMX®/Overdrive®Processor 90-233MHz.
# AMD®5K86, K6®(PR166 to 300) Processor Support.
# CyrixR®/IBM®6x86/686L/MX®P150+ to P233+ Processor Support.
# ZIF Socket 7 for Future Processor Support
# (Auto Detect & Setup Intel Pentium®MMX®Processor,Cyrix®/IBM®6x86,6x86L, AMD®

Latest bios...
# Display both Cyrix MII and IBM/6x86MX CPU names for M II CPU
# Support up to AMD K6-2/400 (66MHz external frequency x 2 ratio)
# Added IDT WinChip CPU support
# Add 'CDROM,A,C' option in boot sequence
# Support 32GB capacity below HDD.
# Support CPU List.

More than likelly it would work.

That sounds like a Super Socket 7 board, hence supporting all those older CPUs as well as newer ones and 'future CPUs' (heh). What isn't ascertainable is if the board he has will work with a newer Socket 7 chip.. we can only be sure with the P1 machine's motherboard type.

well how about testing it to make sure....i mean the guy is pondering sledgehammering it so if the extra voltage fries the whole machine then he wont be at much off a loss will he?

cell_491 said:
well how about testing it to make sure....i mean the guy is pondering sledgehammering it so if the extra voltage fries the whole machine then he wont be at much off a loss will he?

Nah, he'll just feel silly if he pays to get a CPU mailed to him and it didn't work.

Many, if not most, MMX Socket 7 motherboards can support a K6-2, and are capable of running from 400 to 500 MHz. Even better, some are capable of supporting a K6-2+, with its full speed 128K L2 cache. See Oldie Tuning at Tom's Hardware.

Then see if the board is listed here, http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm You can't beat a free patched BIOS!

The cheapest good upgrade would probably be a K6-3 400. They are cheap and plentiful on Ebay these days, and 256K full speed on die L2 makes a big difference. Set it for 6x66 (stock busspeed, board multiplier set for two) and you actually have a semi decent computer.

I've taken the processor out of my Pentium 166 and K6-2 and now they sit merrily beside each other. Meh, why not keep it? You don't necessarily have to do anything with it. But if it's taking up space strip it down. Just my thoughts. Since I like (At the very least) keeping the processors from old computers.

Back