• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what to do with these drives?

cmdrdredd

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
127
I have a 128gb crucial m4 coming tomorrow and I ordered another one that will be here around Wednesday. I also have a 300gb velociraptor and a 1tb backup and storage drive.

I don't know how to configure these. I don't think I am going to run raid 0 with the ssds because I lose trim and the speed increase isn't that dramatic. I was originally thinking of using one for the os and main programs while the other ssd has my games installed on it. Then what do I do with the velociraptor? The drive isn't as fast as an ssd and not big enough to hold all my anime and videos etc. Should I use the raptor drive for the my documents folder etc?

Any ideas are appreciated.
 
Sell the Velociraptor and put the money towards a more useful drive for your setup..? Do you have enough documents that it would inconvenience your OS/games drive to have them on one/both?
 
My anime collection is over 60gb. So I keep that on my 1tb drive. I don't necessarily need the raptor as my music etc will all fit between the two 128gb ssd drives I think. I suppose I could always keep it intact and only start up off it in an emergency in case the ssd ever has an issue. Basically unplug it until I need it and I can just plug it in and start up off it.
 
Media like videos and music don't really necessitate the use of the raptor - they'd be just fine on any green drive for that matter. How much space do you have in terms of applications? It could be that 1 of those SSD's will accommodate your OS/Major Apps, and a smaller spindle drive could suffice for your media/documents. If you have enough apps that it would span over the one ssd and you don't want to mess with it ever, then you can use the other ssd for additional app storage, or sell/return your 2 ssds for a larger one to not have to worry about raid or anything.

That being said, the m4's actually have very respectable GC so losing trim isn't the end of the world if you wanted to drop them in raid.

Also, is this a typo:

My anime collection is over 60gb.

As you stated earlier that the 300gb raptor drive isn't big enough to hold your anime. If you meant its over 600gb it makes a lot more sense.
 
Also, is this a typo:



As you stated earlier that the 300gb raptor drive isn't big enough to hold your anime. If you meant its over 600gb it makes a lot more sense.


That's just the size of one folder I guess when I checked it real quick I didn't check the entire Anime directory which is currently 270GB. Then I have a few 1080p movies stored. Really begins to eat up the space.

I think what I'll do is use SSD1 for OS/programs and SSD2 for game installs. The raptor drive will be general storage for sometimes used programs and I can also dump out the two WD 250GB drives I have that are pretty old. Store that stuff between the raptor and my backup drive. The stuff I have on them is family pictures and video as well as my itunes library which should fit nicely on my raptor. Seems most logical to remove the older and slower drives and use the faster drives for the stuff stored there.
 
get an external enclosure or 2, or multibay enclosure to setup as JBOD and have it do periodic backups of your files.... Or keep them safely put away for spare drives. I never sell my old drives, i keep them for whatever pops up.
 
Back
Top