• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do with old rig

GJSNeptune

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2004
Messages
12,372
It's sittin' in my closet completely disassembled (I was bored and felt like tinkering) inside its case. I want to upgrade its motherboard and case.

PowerSpec PC
mATX Gigabyte somethin' or other
Athlon XP 1.67GHz
768MB combined RAM (256 + 512)


I'm having trouble deciding whether I want to keep it housed in an mATX case or what. I see no point in having anything bigger, as I would only need two PCI slots at the most. And plus my Lian-Li is a monster.

Maybe a desktop-style case? I'm pondering putting Linux on it, and/or making it my primary music player. I dunno. Any ideas?
 
If you have a lot of free time and access to power tools and materials, you could always be adventerous and build a case or turn it into a mod project.
 
dariob said:
If you have a lot of free time and access to power tools and materials, you could always be adventerous and build a case or turn it into a mod project.
Access, yes, skills, no.
 
I would get a little more air flow in the case and put it to use folding for the [H]orde.

But that is just me
 
TwiztedFait said:
I would get a little more air flow in the case and put it to use folding for the [H]orde.

But that is just me

I agree. Of course, it can fold and serve as something else at the same time. If you have a fast connection (relatively stable DSL or Cable), you could set it up as a web server with Apache. Or it could be an HTPC project... Or, if you're willing to put a little money into it, you've got a great start to a Carputer project (www.mp3car.com) ;)
 
An HTPC serves me no purpose yet, as I don't live in my own place. It's either school or home, and neither is very permanent.

If I run Linux, which version would you recommend for a complete newbie?
 
Fedora is a good learning distro, I've heard Suse and Mandrake are also good to learn on and I'm sure someone will suggest Gentoo for 1337ness :p

I'd recommend Fedora though, it's pretty damn easy to set-up.

if you're worried about messing up the install check out Knoppix, it runs straight off the CD, no install required

Peace

have fun with linux
 
Debian or it's derivatives: Knoppix, Ubuntu, ...

They're pretty straight forward and have strong user support bases.
 
I would recomend a "Live" linux distrobution, such as Knoppix, to try it out before you install anything...
 
RS3RS said:
I would recomend a "Live" linux distrobution, such as Knoppix, to try it out before you install anything...

2nd'ed. Grab a live Knoppix or ubuntu (never tried ubuntu, but people around here seem to like it).

Fedora, Mandrake, or Suse are nice starter-linuxes, but my favorite is Debian, but I wouldnt reccomend that for a "starter" linux.
 
I'd definitely have it fold, and if you're interested in learning linux, you can both fold and learn at the same time.
 
I agree with everyone else. Have it run Folding at Home for our team(33), and learn some linux on it.

-MN Scout
 
I'm definitely gonna check out Knoppix and having it fold. Now...to fall into some cash to upgrade its house.
 
Back
Top