What to do with old CRT monitors?

coder_t2

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, so my dad is moving and we are clearing out his house and he has two 17 in flat screen CRT monitors. Any ideas on what I can do with these other than put them on the curb? Ebay doesn't even seem to want them. They are working great, and I feel like its a waste to throw them away.

Dont make fun now. Im still gaming on my trusty Sony 17" CRT! ;) One day Ill have a nice shiny 22" but for now I have to make due.

I 2nd the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Im sure they could always use them.

Hey guys, so my dad is moving and we are clearing out his house and he has two 17 in flat screen CRT monitors. Any ideas on what I can do with these other than put them on the curb? Ebay doesn't even seem to want them. They are working great, and I feel like its a waste to throw them away.

Worst comes to worst, just recycle them. Recycling centers pick em up free and you don't have to see it ever again.

I had two CRTs.
I donated the first one and keep another for the only reason - to measure input lag of LCDs/plasmas. It's useless otherwise.

Yea I decided to go with Goodwill. I had a ton of other stuff that needed to go there anyway. Figured someone could use them. Only problem is I already lost the receipt they gave me, so I guess no tax write off. :(

I had about 7 Crts a few years ago. I donated 6 of them to a local computer shop that was starting up and gave one to a family member for his first build.

CRTs are still great for competitive gaming (60 Hz LCDs suck) and will generally blow cheap TN panels out of the water. Donate or recycle them as said :)

Recycling centres where i live dont pick them up for free.

Where i live you have to pay to dispose of CRT's, at a recycling center which is what your supposed to do with old electronics.

Here if you put one out on the curb the garbage truck wont take it to the dump.

I suggest you just give it away to someone by posting it on one of the free forums.

CRTs are still great for competitive gaming (60 Hz LCDs suck) and will generally blow cheap TN panels out of the water. Donate or recycle them as said :)

Maybe FPS gaming, but there's such a thing as competitive RTS gaming, where 60hz makes no difference

Like others have said try giving it away or recycle them, if that dont work just dump it in your neighbor's trash in the middle of the night (just joking)

If they are in good working condition, Craigslist or EBay would be good. If they are not in working condition, Recycle them.

Yea ebay didn't even look like anyone was buying them. And I hate craigslist. Nothing but bad luck with it. Gave them to Goodwill as I said above, so hopefully some young computer nerd could use one in his first computer build! Or someone who just can't afford a new monitor.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I gave my 22" Mitsubishi and 17" Sony to Best Buy. They charged me $10 (or was it $20?) but gave me a gift card with equal amount. Glad to have gotten rid of them!

Back