what to do with Namerserver info

x98gulinski

Limp Gawd
I got an email from dydns, the people i got my domain from, and it gave me some info, on nameservers, what do I do with the two addresses? Where do I put them in a win2003 box? I've tried doing my own hosting but seem to run into issues, I see the site internally but not externally. I am confused on what I should have in the DNS, or am I way off anyone?

You need to run a split DNS in order to host your site and have it available in both internal and external networks.

I've never heard of split dns, any recommendations on how I could set this up or a link would be appreciated.

If you're not sure what nameservers are but are also trying to do your own hosting, I would say you need to step back a bit and move forward more slowly. :)

The nameservers should be part of how you connect to the Internet, along with your IP, subnet mask, and gateway IP addresses. In Windows, click Start->Control Panel->Network Connections, and open up the properties of your network connection (usually Local Area Connection). Click the TCP/IP entry and click Properties. THis is where you should have put your IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS nameserver IPs. Some ISPs don't require you put any of this in, they just give it to your computer automatically over the wire.

Anyway, to do your own hosting, you need to buy a domain from someplace like www.netsol.com. The domain is just a name, like google.com. To make it really work, you'll need to point that domain to your IP address, and then make sure people in the outside world can get into your network to view the web pages.

That's it in a nutshell...sounds easy, but takes a lot of time and effort to get going on it the first few times.

Ok I like to jump into things, and play, not read and read and read. I have a domain, I have a server setup, but because the ip changes daily, I got zoneedit to do some of the work for me, my question was where in the server do I input the nameserver info. I'm assuming someplace in the dns server. The dns works internally, I just am not sure how do set it up to work externally,

take the zoneedit.com ns names that you got and put them in the dns input boxes at your registrar. forward the ports to your windows 2003 box and there you go. the regular ports to forward are port 80 and if you want ftp forward port 21.

Greg

I think in this instance you might want to read up...
Don't be lazy...
If you registered at zone edit then you will have seen about 5 links to complete how to
for dynamic dns and hosting your own site....
If your to lazy to read up on how to set up something for free,
then you are probably to lazy to read up on securily setting up a free dynamic host
with the end result of more questions like " Why did they haxor me???"

Not being a jerk here, but you might want to educate yourself....
Link to zone edit how to's

http://tinyurl.com/3n3qc

Bonehead

Back