What to do with iPhone 3G w/o SIM?

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an extra iPhone 3G that I'd like to play around with, but I don't think that is possible unless I put a SIM in it.

I'd really just like to use it to listen to music and maybe for web over WiFi.

What do you guys think?

This thread doesn't make sense. An extra 3G? You sell it. Why do you need to use it to listen to music or web browsing when you already carrying another 3G? Sounds to me like it's someone lost an iPhone.

It's not stolen, it's a spare we keep at work for when one of the brass loses/breaks theirs. I want to play around with it but until this morning I didn't have an AT&T SIM. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the guy who has only been here for 9 days who posted useful info!

Last edited:
It's not stolen, it's a spare we keep at work for when one of the brass loses/breaks theirs. I want to play around with it but until this morning I didn't have an AT&T SIM. :rolleyes:

Thanks to the guy who has only been here for 9 days who posted useful info!

So now it's "we?". Good story. If this phone is supposed to be safe keeping just in case someone loses or breaks theirs. I wonder why it's out of the box for you to play around with so that it could be broken and stolen.

So now it's "we?". Good story. If this phone is supposed to be safe keeping just in case someone loses or breaks theirs. I wonder why it's out of the box for you to play around with so that it could be broken and stolen.

There could be legitimate reasons for having it unboxed. That is like saying an IT shop shouldn't keep a couple PCs up and configured for when one breaks :rolleyes: At a previous job we had a spare broadband card that I ended up carrying around and using most of the time but had to give it up anytime someone needed to take it on a business trip.

With that said, I personally wouldn't play around with a spare now because most of the people I end up supporting wouldn't accept a "used" device, even as a temporary spare.

Relax man. I can certainly see how one could potentially interpret my post as that of a thief trying to figure out a way to utilize his ill-gotten prize. That is not the case here. I'm simply curious about the phone and would like to play with it to the extent that I don't cause hardship for the next guy.

Accusing me of theft based on the content of my first post is bullshit. I'd appreciate it if you guys would keep your feelings to yourself or at least express them constructively.

Last edited:
There could be legitimate reasons for having it unboxed. That is like saying an IT shop shouldn't keep a couple PCs up and configured for when one breaks :rolleyes: At a previous job we had a spare broadband card that I ended up carrying around and using most of the time but had to give it up anytime someone needed to take it on a business trip.

With that said, I personally wouldn't play around with a spare now because most of the people I end up supporting wouldn't accept a "used" device, even as a temporary spare.

We keep an extra of everything on hand, especially when it's one of the CEO's devices. There is no quicker way to make him happy than to walk in with a spare ready to go after having to recover his laptop or phone. I wouldn't dream of handing him or any of our users a sub-standard "spare" device.

Geez...the guys been a part of [H] for 9.4 years...what ever happened to benefit of the doubt...

Quick man the pitch forks and light the torches...geez

Glad you got it sorted...

Back