• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What to do with hard drives?

starbuck8968

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 26, 2001
Messages
1,905
I have 8 500gb Seagate 7200.9 drives. I got an LSI Megaraid SATA 300-8X, but I'm dissapointed in the RAID5 performance. Should I try doing a RAID10 or RAID0+1? Or get another card altogether?

Right now I have 3 300gb drives, but they are full and need to create an array or something pretty quick. What would you guys do with this setup?
 
starbuck8968 said:
I have 8 500gb Seagate 7200.9 drives. I got an LSI Megaraid SATA 300-8X, but I'm dissapointed in the RAID5 performance. Should I try doing a RAID10 or RAID0+1? Or get another card altogether?

Right now I have 3 300gb drives, but they are full and need to create an array or something pretty quick. What would you guys do with this setup?


Oracle..the database people...recommend a RAID 10 for their applications. They say that it is faster than RAID 5. Your setup would yield a 2TB RAID 10 array. And the redundancy is better in RAID 10 than it is in RAID 5.

Give it a try.

If you are in a playing mood....build one 4 drive array as RAID 10 and use the other 4 drives to build a RAID 5 array. Then benchmark them. Should be good for a weekend of fun.

 
Back
Top