What to do with free Cisco 2600?

PopeKevinI

2[H]4U
I've got a shot at a free Cisco 2600...is it worth taking home to play with?

What is the base platform capable of, and are there any recommendations for its use?

i could really use that in my studies for my CCNA/CCNP... i would have one already but i frankly cant afford one :(

so if you feel like contributing to a good cause (read: college student) you can send it to me ;) :D

please? ;)

I surprised Flecom hasn't got a cisco router yet, considering his obsession with networking and fibre:D

Originally posted by PopeKevinI
Hmm...I might have to put it in FS/FT then, and give FLECOM first shot :)

any trades? ;)

Cliffs Notes: want 2600 plz :)

full text:

Originally posted by Wiseguy2001
I surprised Flecom hasn't got a cisco router yet, considering his obsession with networking and fibre:D

dude you would think right?

but all of the fiber stuff ive gotten on ebay for cheeeeeap, like insane/sick/should be illegal cheap :D

but everyone and their grandmother bids on these things on ebay... its almost as bad as camera lenses... and dont even get me started on that :mad:

what kind of idiots bid more on a used lens than its MSRP? :rolleyes:

ARGH!!!

but everything else ive gotten for cheap...

i did finally get a Cisco Catalyst!!!

i got a 2924 XL with 8 bad ports... leaves me 16 usable ports... as IOS 12.0 or something...

16 ports is more than enough for a small cisco lab anyway... also going to try to get a 1900 probably with the 12 ports + 2 FE so i can try EtherChannel and stuff :D

but i could most definately use a 2600... what model is it? 2611? 2612? 2621 2622 list goes on hehe

actually i dont care the model... whatever it is i just need a nice router for my cisco lab...

probably going to be the 2900, a 1900, a pair of 2501's and a 2514.... with the 2600 in there would be a sweet setup... oh and i have a Cisco Aironet 350 that also runs IOS... has the latest one on there... probably going to play with that in my labs also... its reallly sweet :) but i dont have a clue how to do most of the stuff like WPA etc :(

would like to get my CCNA + CCNP, but really i would like to really learn IOS since everyone and their mother uses cisco stuff now :rolleyes:

Originally posted by FLECOM
Cliffs Notes: want 2600 plz :)

So, I suppose that you'd be upset to hear that there is a 2600 and 3600 just sitting in my basement right now... not doing anything...

*dodges flecom as he lashes out in anger*

But don't you worry!! I am using my 2500!!

Originally posted by animeguru
So, I suppose that you'd be upset to hear that there is a 2600 and 3600 just sitting in my basement right now... not doing anything...

*drives to columbia and does a home invasion*

:D

Such a waste - just think, give a student a tenner and you set them up for the night out, give them a router and you set them up for life!

Anybody in the uk with any routers or switches laying around? i could really do with one or two.

I got stacks of Cisco gear in my office. And tons more in production.

The 2600 is a good little router. It all depends on how much memory and flash you have which dictates what IOS you can run. However on the smallest you can run the latest 12.2T train which gives you lots of cool stuff to play with like OSPF, QoS, etc. You just can't do any 802.1q trunking or some higher end voice stuff.

Originally posted by PopeKevinI
Hmm...I might have to put it in FS/FT then, and give FLECOM first shot :)

not wanting to take away the opportunity for FLECOM to get the router, I would consider listing it on eBay instead, you will get $300+ on eBay for it, depending on the configuration etc

you will find however that all potential buyers will want to see a "sh ver" and other diagnostics screen grabs, they are useful to determine what IOS version they are running, the amount and configuration of the Flash memory and the amount of installed DRAM, this will also show the system configuration, such as the Bootstrap version (useful when you need to upgrade the IOS) and what additional IP services are installed (e.g. IP Firewall) and network interfaces (WIC cards, NM modules).....

cry.gif

gimee!!! plz!!!

Originally posted by Anthony.L
I got stacks of Cisco gear in my office. And tons more in production.

see above

so anyone going to donate to a good cause? :(

Back