What to do With Expensive Storage Node?

STR

Gawd
I came into possession of a surplus EMC Avamar Gen2 Xeon-powered, enterprise-class storage node. This thing, apparently, retailed for somewhere around $8,000-$11,000 new. There does not appear to be much in the way of a secondary market for these things (ebay only lists a dozen storage nodes for around $1,000-$2,000). I can't find detailed tech specs to find out whether or not it's worth it to open it up part it out. I'm not sure I can or could use it personally. So...

should I:
A) eBay it and hope it sells in the next 4-6 months.
B) Crack it open and part it out.
C) Turn it into a RIDICULOUSLY overpowered home server (it has 2 PSUs and came with 6 1TB enterprise drives (which I would not include in a sale because I don't know what's on them or if they've been scrubbed).
D) Trash it, because it weighs 50 pounds, sucks power, is enormous, and is worthless.

Do you need storage?

yes>
Pull the drives. Use the drives.

no>
Sell it -or- part it and sell parts.

I came into possession of a surplus EMC Avamar Gen2 Xeon-powered, enterprise-class storage node. This thing, apparently, retailed for somewhere around $8,000-$11,000 new. There does not appear to be much in the way of a secondary market for these things (ebay only lists a dozen storage nodes for around $1,000-$2,000). I can't find detailed tech specs to find out whether or not it's worth it to open it up part it out. I'm not sure I can or could use it personally. So...

should I:
A) eBay it and hope it sells in the next 4-6 months.
B) Crack it open and part it out.
C) Turn it into a RIDICULOUSLY overpowered home server (it has 2 PSUs and came with 6 1TB enterprise drives (which I would not include in a sale because I don't know what's on them or if they've been scrubbed).
D) Trash it, because it weighs 50 pounds, sucks power, is enormous, and is worthless.

What are the specs of the machine?

Having finally had a chance to boot it up, it's got a single Xeon E5410 and 16GB of 1333MHz RAM.

Pop in another 5410 for cheap and it would make a nice esxi host.

I'm thinking of unloading it on a local non-profit. They could use it to supplement their existing server, I'm sure. It's loud as all hell and heavy as shit (I'm pretty sure it's more like 70lbs instead of the 50 I mentioned earlier), and frankly, I'm don't need a 4 year old slab of metal.

I'm thinking of unloading it on a local non-profit. They could use it to supplement their existing server, I'm sure. It's loud as all hell and heavy as shit (I'm pretty sure it's more like 70lbs instead of the 50 I mentioned earlier), and frankly, I'm don't need a 4 year old slab of metal.

It must be a 1U?(maybe 2U) Yeah, heck with that much noise.
And it would be nice if they could use it.

Back