What to do with drives

dtess17

2[H]4U
I had thought about getting a raptor and then my 2500js hard drive.
I never ended up getting the raptor but got 2 of the 250gb drives.

How should i set them up.
RAID 0 RAID 1 ...totally seperate? Buy two more and go 0+1?

I i used to do is have to 80's in a RAID 0 and then a 200 GB for all my storage, but where as the drives are the same size, it doesn't make sense to only use one for my OS and whatever games i am playing at the moment.

What should i do?

thought about it, but i think i'll just end up needed the space anyways...friggin music and video collection.

If it's storage, just have them both be separate. There is no need to risk losing the entire raid because one of the disks dies.

I guess it all depends on if i get a raptor or not...i'd love one of the 150gb ones, but i am not paying $300 for a drive that small at this point.

Both separate. Raid0 has no performance benefits for everyday desktop use, including gaming. I would make a partition for OS and apps on one drive, and use the rest for storage, and use put the pagefile on the other drive, and use that for storage as well.

yup i can vouch for the raid 0 raptors not bein of much benefit. i ran it, sure some tings were faster, but i ended up splitting them back up. just two 74gb raptors, 1 for windows n apps, the 2nd for games and data junk...the other pc's in the house are file servers so i dont need a whole lot of space on this rig....but yea, dont go the raid 0 route

RavenD said:
Both separate. Raid0 has no performance benefits for everyday desktop use, including gaming. I would make a partition for OS and apps on one drive, and use the rest for storage, and use put the pagefile on the other drive, and use that for storage as well.

any reason to make the partition and not just let it use the whole drive?
How big of one?
What is the point of moving the pagefile? i normally don't even have one...got 2 gigs of ram

dtess17 said:
any reason to make the partition and not just let it use the whole drive?
How big of one?
What is the point of moving the pagefile? i normally don't even have one...got 2 gigs of ram
So that if you need to reinstall windows, you can reformat the part with the OS and apps - you'd need to reinstall them all anyway, but dont have to reformat the storage partition.

ah that makes sense then. If i were to just do it for the OS, how big of a partition do you think i'd need.

XP-pro-SP2

Mine is just OS partition. 6.64GB total size, with 3.42 free. XP Pro SP2, though I removed all the unnecessary components from the install disc.

A nice 10 Gigs would be fine for a OS Partition.

I'd recommend partitioning, for OS, Apps and Games.

I have 3 x 160GB Sata And I eventually want to get a 74gig Raptor For my OS.
Partitioning the drive into 2 parts.One for an OS, One for secondary Applications.
Primary applications/games do better running on another drive when it's the same speed. So that's why I'd love two :p But im concentrating on organising my horde of files and getting a gfx card :p

dtess17 said:
so if i gave it like 8-10 gigs i should be fine correct?

Depends how many programs you install. 10 gigs is a bit too small for me (Office, Creative Suite, Macromedia Suite.) Even my htpc was getting a bit cramped with onyl 10 gigs... I'd suggest making it 20 to be safe - it's not something that you can easily change later if you do start running out of space.

thanks i'll have to look into that.

for those of you that have a raptor...is it worth it?
is the heat/ noise that bad?

dtess17 said:
thanks i'll have to look into that.

for those of you that have a raptor...is it worth it?
is the heat/ noise that bad?

yes, very much worth it for the both of em in my rig
i dont notice the noise over my 5 case fans, and the heat isnt anything im worried about cuz i have good airflow :cool:

P3N1X0R said:
yes, very much worth it for the both of em in my rig
i dont notice the noise over my 5 case fans, and the heat isnt anything im worried about cuz i have good airflow :cool:

Do you have them set up as single drives also?

74 gigs seems so small to me...but the 150 is just too darm $$$

Back