What to do with an old IBM Bladecenter HS20?

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've just landed a really cheap deal on one of these, no faults, hdd's wiped, all 14 blades working, I was thinking of using it for VM's but my sig rig and my WDS server handles that as off duty roles just fine, any idea what I should do with the fat beast?:confused:

Perhaps folding for team 33 again?

I'd just sell it. Will draw tons of power, make lots of noise, and create a lot of heat. Use the money to build 1 or 2 newer servers or blow it all on hookers.

We have one of those at work(To be retired in a year)

It draws tons of power, the web interface is slow as shit, get rid of it

Ok, guess I'll change my mind with the seller then but I'll be picking it up tomorrow and check out his other stuff as has a truckload of servers, spares and parts, the HS20 blades been upgraded with maxed out specifications so I was thinking I could tinker with them for now, learn something and be familiar with them when I play with new blade systems in the job field. If I do use it I won't have it on 24/7 or anything so power draw isn't much of an issue.

Hooker's sound tempting but I'm sure the miss will be disappoint.

Well it turns out they are very early HS20 models still based on IDE 2.5inch drives not even SAS or at least SCSI 320. Fuck that. $99 for the bid I won it is pretty cheap though.

And most of them are P4 era blades too, IIRC - which makes them useless. We had one lying around - it's currently holding up a shelf, IIRC.

Yeh buyer agree to cancel the transaction this morning. The HS20 blades were very early socket 603 Xeon's, not Socket 604 at least....

On the other hand I don't know if it's worth keeping or selling off an Intel S5000PSL dual socket 771 mobo I won bit over a month ago for $30 incl postage.

I've got 1 771 Xeon at hand but no FB ram to test the board. At least it has 2 PCI-Express slots though.

Yeh buyer agree to cancel the transaction this morning. The HS20 blades were very early socket 603 Xeon's, not Socket 604 at least....

On the other hand I don't know if it's worth keeping or selling off an Intel S5000PSL dual socket 771 mobo I won bit over a month ago for $30 incl postage.

I've got 1 771 Xeon at hand but no FB ram to test the board. At least it has 2 PCI-Express slots though.

Taht's at least slightly modern, although rapidly also getting out of date. Probably not worth the expense to bring it online, sad to say. I've got a few of those lying around in use still, but they're getting rarer.

Ok maybe I'll should just drop few hundred on a used SR-2 board with dual 6 core ES Xeon's floating around on ebay for like $80 a chip (going to be more powerful then my main sig rig). Will be running a lot of home labs and VM's. A lot.

Quad core Xeon 5xxx series cpu's for 771 are really cheap on ebay though and I need a relatively fast secondary server for number crunching tasks for charity.

Craigslist. You dont want to see that power! maybe offer to set it up for a business?

Either way let us know what you do and how much your power bill gets to? ha

Either way let us know what you do and how much your power bill gets to? ha

I've got solar and don't run my servers 24/7.

Anyway just an insight update to this thread. Picked up a X3550 7978 for cheap, 771 still but already relatively good specs for what I need it for, dual quad's, 2 300gb sas drives, dual redundant psu's and 12gb of fbdimm ram (6gb pulled out for another server). Pretty snappy and feels faster than my old 980x main rig.

I never ended up buying the HS20. Too ancient after a bit of research which could've been easier to identify if the seller gave me some serial numbers as there are 4 generations of HS20 blades.

Back