what to do with an iPhone 4..

shoota

[H]ard|Gawd
It's currently unused since the wife and I both upgraded to 5S's. It's still on iOS 6.0.1. I'm mostly wondering if updating it to iOS 7 will kill any value it might have in case people want the old OS? I have no idea..
I'm thinking about using for an AppleTV remote or maybe as an ipod for music in the car..
Got any ideas or thoughts?

experiment and see what works best for you. after upgrading to a 5S, my 4 is completely unused because I don't want to have to think about having the right charging cable, managing content across multiple similar devices, and so on.

Don't update the is and try to sell it. Users can update to 7 if they want. I've kept a lot of my old phones thinking I might use them; only one out of like 5 git Abby use.

Keep it around as a spare if you are on a GSM carrier, use is as an iPod around the house or in the car maybe?

If you're just going to use it as an iPod, unlock it (if on a GSM network), sell it, buy an iPod, and keep the extra cash.

It's currently unused since the wife and I both upgraded to 5S's. It's still on iOS 6.0.1. I'm mostly wondering if updating it to iOS 7 will kill any value it might have in case people want the old OS? I have no idea..
I'm thinking about using for an AppleTV remote or maybe as an ipod for music in the car..
Got any ideas or thoughts?

Keep the old OS and repurpose it. That's what I did with mine (sans the keep the old OS part). It's currently our living room Pandora box. :)

For my old 3GS i turned it into a remote camera using a program called presence and could view it from any iOS device I used at work, nice way to keep a check on your house.

For my old 3GS i turned it into a remote camera using a program called presence and could view it from any iOS device I used at work, nice way to keep a check on your house.

Thanks for suggesting this app. Awesome and free to use. I just found a new purpose for my 4s.

Keep the old OS and repurpose it. That's what I did with mine (sans the keep the old OS part). It's currently our living room Pandora box. :)

Thanks for suggesting this app. Awesome and free to use. I just found a new purpose for my 4s.

Great ideas guys, thanks. It's a Verizon phone so does that change any of your minds that suggested keeping it as a backup phone? I don't see why it would but maybe I'm missing something..

My 1st grader uses my old 4 for school now for "Device Day". Still has iOS 6 on it, and works like a charm. Battery doesn't last that long 2-3 days standby but the kiddo knows to put it on the dock for charging and what not.

They use a handful of educational apps for the classroom.

I just use mine as a music player in my car. Also serves as a backup incase I lose/break my 5S.

Great ideas guys, thanks. It's a Verizon phone so does that change any of your minds that suggested keeping it as a backup phone? I don't see why it would but maybe I'm missing something..

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't actually use that on anything other than Verizon. Does it have a sim slot? I thought the iPhone 4 on Verizon was a bit of a special case, and only with the 4S was a sim slot added.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't actually use that on anything other than Verizon. Does it have a sim slot? I thought the iPhone 4 on Verizon was a bit of a special case, and only with the 4S was a sim slot added.

Yes I believe you are correct.

You can use it on Verizon MVNOs and you can also flash to Sprint and other CDMA carriers.

Htpc remote, jailbreak it, mp3 storage device.

Back