What to do with a new GTX 580 rig?! Overwhelmed...

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so I just build myself a new state-of-the-art machine. I haven't had one for two years, although I've been collecting games for the day I'd get one again. However, now I am overwhelmed by what to do with my new rig.

Give me some suggestions! I want to feel like my $$$ spent was worth it. What's going to be a smooth-as-butter, eye-magic experience? What else would you recommend!?

Build: i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, GTX 580, 9800GT PhysX, Turtle Beach DDL with Tritton 720 Pro Headset, 64GB SATA3 SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 7 HP, 24" 1920x1080 Monitor

Thanks guys!

]
OK, so I just build myself a new state-of-the-art machine. I haven't had one for two years, although I've been collecting games for the day I'd get one again. However, now I am overwhelmed by what to do with my new rig.

Give me some suggestions! I want to feel like my $$$ spent was worth it. What's going to be a smooth-as-butter, eye-magic experience? What else would you recommend!?

Build: i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, GTX 580, 9800GT PhysX, Turtle Beach DDL with Tritton 720 Pro Headset, 64GB SATA3 SSD, 1TB HDD, Win 7 HP, 24" 1920x1080 Monitor

Thanks guys!

How in the hell could you be overwhelmed?? You just built a new nice rig with nice hardware after a 2 year wait...Sshit...i'd be reinstalling steam andrunning that rig through its paces...I'd be downloading and running all th furmark/3dmark benchies and smiling as that rig blazes through them...Shit...install Crysis and run everything maxed and laugh as the rig chews through frames with ease and pat yourself on the back....

This is about what you wanted to hear and read yes?? Go play with your new toy my man...and stfu! ;)

I myself am gonna build me a 2600k and sli 580 rig in the next month or so....so I can be overwhelmed like you in a few short weeks.....

How in the hell could you be overwhelmed?? *snip*

I think that's what he meant. He can pretty much do anything with it now and doesn't know where to start.

Edit: Forgot to suggest something that I'm sure others will echo. Metro 2033. Absolutely beautiful game if you have the power to turn up the eye candy.

How in the hell could you be overwhelmed?? You just built a new nice rig with nice hardware after a 2 year wait...Sshit...i'd be reinstalling steam andrunning that rig through its paces...I'd be downloading and running all th furmark/3dmark benchies and smiling as that rig blazes through them...Shit...install Crysis and run everything maxed and laugh as the rig chews through frames with ease and pat yourself on the back....
This is about what you wanted to hear and read yes?? Go play with your new toy my man...and stfu! ;) I myself am gonna build me a 2600k and sli 580 rig in the next month or so....so I can be overwhelmed like you in a few short weeks.....

LOL This made me crack up. Yes, these are all great suggestion. Two votes for Crysis and one for Metro 2033. Folding sounds charitable. Seeing the benchies is something nice to enjoy it rip through. The one I did run was the Unigine Heaven Benchmark. Not bad. As far as games, I bought over 200 in the last five years. So just trying to get people's opinion what to spin up first. Thanks for your response and I'm happy for you with the incoming 2600K and SLI rig! Thanks for the laugh too!

Forgot to suggest something that I'm sure others will echo. Metro 2033. Absolutely beautiful game if you have the power to turn up the eye candy.

Thanks! I'll load it up along with Crysis. Thanks a ton and for understanding why I'm overwhelmed.

Thanks guys!

Metro 2033, crysis warhead, just cause 2, stalker cop, battlfield bc2, Aliens vs Predator, to name a few.

Also one thing I love doing is playing a game my system could barely handle AGAIN!! lol It is very gratifying when the game that bitch slapped you back in the day is at the mercy of your new creation :D

Fold for team 33 with it when your not gaming :cool:

Fixed that for ya :D

Last edited:
As far as games, I bought over 200 in the last five years. So just trying to get people's opinion what to spin up first.

Play one of them. What are you waiting for???

Others in this thread have already pointed out the most graphically demanding games that exist, but nobody has said that those are the most fun games they played in the last two years.

Play one of them. What are you waiting for???

Others in this thread have already pointed out the most graphically demanding games that exist, but nobody has said that those are the most fun games they played in the last two years.

I've installed Metro 2033, Mafia, Aliens Vs Predators, and Batman AA, thus far. I have been very impressed with the graphics in Metro 2033, except there are bugs... like jerky camera flashes in the cinematics. AVP wasn't that graphically impressive, and the controls seemed a bit sluggish as a human. But I have to give it some more play time. Mafia, I haven't launched yet, but I wanted to before moving to Mafia II. Finally Batman AA is freaking awesome! I'm glad I bought the extra PhysX card, both Metro 2033 and Batman AA are playing smoothly with PhysX effects maxed.

I'll have to figure out how to generate some good benchmarks.

Just go play a game... Stop wasting your time on internet browsing and PLAY a game.... Plain and simple :)

Just go play a game... Stop wasting your time on internet browsing and PLAY a game.... Plain and simple :)

+1 Who cares what you play? Just get in there and start gaming!

BTW forget your old games, play something new thats going to provide an impressive and immersive experience, you didn't spend that kinda $ on your system to play old ass dated games did you? (Mafia recommends a P3 700 for god sake!)

Crysis, Metro 2033, STALKER Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 2, NFS: Hot Pursuit, etc etc etc...

Thanks guys! I'll take in all your recommendations! I laughed at the Mafia response regarding P3-700

Play crisis maxed out. Start installing games you have not played in a while. I ways have enjoyed how new hardware can bring new games back to life.

everytime i have nothing to do with my computer, i try to install the macos on my pc. must have 15 dvds already (different versions).

Haven't bought Arma 2 yet, but I'll try it out when it comes on sale at $15 or less. Thanks guys!

I'd consider updating the monitor! Time to enjoy some of that large screen 2560x1600 goodness.

Back