• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

What to do with a junk(?) PSU?

kevineugenius

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,415
During troubleshooting on my latest build, I wanted to eliminate all variables so while in strip-down mode I pulled a brand new PSU out of my closet that I've been sitting on (for troubleshooting needs) for a couple years at least and plugged it in with some difficulty, but not too much. Components at that time were:
Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3
2600k stock
1x 4gb 1333 G.Skill Ripjaws
1x 10k rpm SATA
1x XFX 6870
CM Hyper 520
2 case fans plugged into motherboard

According to my calculations, it should draw 515w under heavy load, so my PoS Sigma 535w PSU should run it when it's doing absolutely nothing... right? It wouldn't even power on. Just kinda spun the fans half a rotation then powered back off.

So, is that PSU defective or just a pile of crap? I think I got it in a combo or something back in the day. Should be this beast http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817226003

Either way, I'm thinking of just turning it into spare wires and wire ends for if I ever need to splice up an adapter in the future...
 
If the PSU is supplying power, it can make a decent source of power if you need 5,10, 12, 24 etc volts DC for something.

I have an old PSU where I cut all the wires out, internally soldered them to some romex wires and have the wires sticking out from the grill and they are labeled -5v +5v etc. I can then put crocodile clips and do whatever I want with it. You'd be surprised the amount of current you can really get from one. Electrolysis or magnetic coils are quite fun. :p
 
I think I actually have another unopened one of these too... There has to be something interesting I can build out of them, desktop fan, hamster cage.... lol
 
With 28 amp 3.3 v and 32 amp 5 v thats 92 watts and 160 watts thats 252 out of a supposed 535 or 283 watts on the 12 v rails.
18 AMP X 12 V = 216 watts, 16 amp x 12 v =192 watts.
High Amps for the 3.3 v and 5 v indicate an old group design. 408 watts on the 12 v from an old group design is simply lying.
With only 2 Sata connectors is definitely in the old crap league.
Warranty is 3 years, if its over or you don't care look inside,
Motherboard may suggest its a cheap 250-300 watt unit.
 
Drive some nails through it, fill with cement and embed a chain. Practice for dead island.
 
Back
Top