What to do with a hp pavilion ze4400

Hyper_Psycho

2[H]4U
My friend gave me her hp pavilion ze4400.

There is something wrong with the motherboard as it does not let the computer boot into windows.

The screen works, and so does the hard drive and other components.

How can I format the hard drive so that even space aliens would not be able to get the data back?

How much is this laptop worth in its current state?

What can I do with it?

Thanks a bunch!

Space aliens? Well there's a US Gov standard or something that says to overwrite 33 times with random data... usually I just overwrite once with zeros because that makes irrecoverable via software (special equipment though...).

If you can't find a cheap replacement motherboard, part it out and sell it.

Space aliens? Well there's a US Gov standard or something that says to overwrite 33 times with random data... usually I just overwrite once with zeros because that makes irrecoverable via software (special equipment though...).

If you can't find a cheap replacement motherboard, part it out and sell it.

is there a way to 0 it out in dos or whatnot since i cannot boot into a proper OS?

DBan my friend. Also known as Derricks Boot And Nuke. Here's a link:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

It is a free tool that can conform to as many overwrites as you'd like. Just make DEAD sure that if it is used, that you physically DISCONNECT any drive you don't want formatted. It should not automatically do anything to any drive you don't want it to. But the only way to be sure is to pull the power/ide/sata cable. Why take chances? :). You can create a bootable CD or floppy.

DBan my friend. Also known as Derricks Boot And Nuke. Here's a link:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

It is a free tool that can conform to as many overwrites as you'd like. Just make DEAD sure that if it is used, that you physically DISCONNECT any drive you don't want formatted. It should not automatically do anything to any drive you don't want it to. But the only way to be sure is to pull the power/ide/sata cable. Why take chances? :). You can create a bootable CD or floppy.

ooooh thankies !

Well apparently the only bad part of this computer is that it cannot hold a charge for a long time. I installed windows and it has been working pretty well.

Is it worth selling? If so, whats a good price to sell it for?

If you're gonna sell it'd I'd try Local. You won't get much for an old Laptop online. Locally though you can usually get a good bit.

Check local papers to. As for the price. It is worth however much you can get for it. Just remember to price it higher than you actually expect it to sell for. People LOVE to haggle. And if it's already $50 higher than you want to sell it, then when you say "If you buy it now, I'll give you $50 off." Then most people will take it on the spot, thinking they got a sweet deal.

P.S. If you can't tell, I'm a business major. :D

Check local papers to. As for the price. It is worth however much you can get for it. Just remember to price it higher than you actually expect it to sell for. People LOVE to haggle. And if it's already $50 higher than you want to sell it, then when you say "If you buy it now, I'll give you $50 off." Then most people will take it on the spot, thinking they got a sweet deal.

P.S. If you can't tell, I'm a business major. :D

i never sold electronics on craigslist but had success with bikes and weight lifting equipment
i guess i should post it on there

Back