I ran across a problem today with a rackmount KVM. THe KVM in question is a TRENDWARE 8 port rackmount switch.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-245&depa=0
I was at a client reusing an old machine turning it into a dedicated PC for some phone utility or something (the vendor is installing the software, I just set up the PC).
Anyway, they have this KVM with 4 servers running off it currently, no issues there.
The crappy old Dell 4100 seems to hate that KVM or something. The best I was able to get out of it were a few keystrokes after logon and then it would act like there was no kb attached anymore. The mouse never responded ever. But if I switched back to all the other machines they were happy with both mouse and keyboard input. On rebooting the PC would hang like it was searching for a mouse or keyboard usually just hang there. If I switched the cables to a different port on the KVM it was hit-or-miss as to whether it would work or not on rebooting, but the mouse never worked.
The really odd thing is that I set this machine and 1 other up the same day using a 2-port Belkin KVM and had no issues at all, so it's not like it can't tolerate ANY KVM switch connected to it. I even tried to interpose the little Belkin between the PC and the big KVM in the hopes that the Belkin would send the right signal to the PS2 ports to make things work. No Dice.
It's not like there's anything special here, the PC in question was set up with a fresh install of XP Pro, althought that's irrelevant, it was hanging before it even got to load the OS. The resolution was set to 1024x768, well within the specs of the KVM and the same resolution as some of the other servers attached to it. And all the machines atttached to it use standard PS2 ports, no USB anything or other complications.
I finally said fuck it and set up another kb, mouse and monitor.
I have heard of certain machines not liking KVM switches before, but usually with things like insane screen resolutions or such.
Are there any tips or tricks that you can do to make this PC tolerate being connected to it better than it is?
Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-107-245&depa=0
I was at a client reusing an old machine turning it into a dedicated PC for some phone utility or something (the vendor is installing the software, I just set up the PC).
Anyway, they have this KVM with 4 servers running off it currently, no issues there.
The crappy old Dell 4100 seems to hate that KVM or something. The best I was able to get out of it were a few keystrokes after logon and then it would act like there was no kb attached anymore. The mouse never responded ever. But if I switched back to all the other machines they were happy with both mouse and keyboard input. On rebooting the PC would hang like it was searching for a mouse or keyboard usually just hang there. If I switched the cables to a different port on the KVM it was hit-or-miss as to whether it would work or not on rebooting, but the mouse never worked.
The really odd thing is that I set this machine and 1 other up the same day using a 2-port Belkin KVM and had no issues at all, so it's not like it can't tolerate ANY KVM switch connected to it. I even tried to interpose the little Belkin between the PC and the big KVM in the hopes that the Belkin would send the right signal to the PS2 ports to make things work. No Dice.
It's not like there's anything special here, the PC in question was set up with a fresh install of XP Pro, althought that's irrelevant, it was hanging before it even got to load the OS. The resolution was set to 1024x768, well within the specs of the KVM and the same resolution as some of the other servers attached to it. And all the machines atttached to it use standard PS2 ports, no USB anything or other complications.
I finally said fuck it and set up another kb, mouse and monitor.
I have heard of certain machines not liking KVM switches before, but usually with things like insane screen resolutions or such.
Are there any tips or tricks that you can do to make this PC tolerate being connected to it better than it is?
Any help would be appreciated.