• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do w/ old Laptop?

sevisehda

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 1, 2003
Messages
281
A long time ago I got my first PC, an IBM laptop 600Mhz, 64MB ram. Not all too bad for back in the day, especailly after I threw in another 128 of RAM(my first upgrade). About a year later I upgraded and built my own system. I then gave away the laptop to a fmaily member. Well last week I got it back. Its taken a beating, the top corner is smashed in, the battery is dead, and both USB ports require some care in order to work. Most importantly the screen is still perfect.

I took it apart to fix the USB ports as well as take a look at the thing. I originally thought of using it in my Jeep for an MP3 player but the screen is just too large. Anyone have an interesting ideas of what I could do with this thing?
 
sevisehda said:
A long time ago I got my first PC, an IBM laptop 600Mhz, 64MB ram. Not all too bad for back in the day, especailly after I threw in another 128 of RAM(my first upgrade). About a year later I upgraded and built my own system. I then gave away the laptop to a fmaily member. Well last week I got it back. Its taken a beating, the top corner is smashed in, the battery is dead, and both USB ports require some care in order to work. Most importantly the screen is still perfect.

I took it apart to fix the USB ports as well as take a look at the thing. I originally thought of using it in my Jeep for an MP3 player but the screen is just too large. Anyone have an interesting ideas of what I could do with this thing?

Drop it from somewhere high, really really high. :p
 
Yeah don't break it. I am sure that 1,000 people at least on these forums would pay you $20 or more + shipping for it. What you can do with it is setup remote desktop on your new system and use your laptop as a dummy terminal with a wireless card for use all around the house.
 
I had a use for an old laptop idea on a list I call 'Things that would be neat but I'm much to lazy to do...let alone actually write down anything on a list, so I can't remember what else is on this list right now...gonna go play GTA San Andreas instead'.

I was going to flip the screen over on my laptop and make it into a 'thin client' (like suggested above) all in about the same size as an LCD monitor of the same specs. Then I was just snag a small keyboard and scroll mouse so I could use it to run IM and email and stuff I like to access while gaming. Has anyone seen this is done well? It would probably involve making some sort of box out of plexi glass.

Just an idea... I was too lazy to do it... allow me to live through you! ;)
 
I think you need to MOD it. Im sure a lot of people would pay you a lot for it hell 2 years ago that would have been a tip top laptop.
 
I saw the projector project some time ago. I'd like to try it but I have no place for one in my house. Also I'm not sure how well the laptop would work since the system is quite limited and not easily upgradable. I'm not inteested in selling it because of the historic value.

Currently I only have 2 ideas neither of which I think are that good.

1) Use it as an MP3 player in my game room. Probobly by modding the screen into the bar.

2) Use it as a picture frame PC in my bedroom. My bedroom is PC free currently.

I'm still looking for a really good idea, or an idea of some way to mod it into my Jeep.
 
Back
Top