What to do?! lsass.exe - system error

Quake

Limp Gawd
A friend gave me his comp to fix it and as soon as I boot it up, I receive:
"lsass.exe - system error, An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function".

I Deleted the Viruses and worms that were on the HD and I still get this. He doesn't want to reformat the computer.

Btw, it's XP SP2.

The lsass.exe which is from Microsoft is located at c:\windows\System32\lsass.exe . there are some viruses that use it too so make sure its being run from C:\windows. you could copy the file off a winxp sp2 cd and replace it. that should work.

It didn't work, I still can't log in to the computer. Btw, I connected the HD to my comp since I can't even go to safe mode.

Do a repair install. Beyond that it's hosed.

If he's been compromised with viruses and spyware, and you're having problems like this. The best advice is :

[quoting Phoenix86 who quoted Aliens]
"I say we dust off and nuke the site from orbit, its the only way to be sure"

Backup the data and reformat.

Could be corruption in the registry. Try restoring the registry to a previous point, provided that he didn't disable System Restore, using the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Since you have the drive in another PC, you won't even have to deal with the Recovery Console. Make sure you copy the backup registry files from a date well prior to the virus infection.

Good luck!

Back