• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What to do about broken CPU liquid cooling.

Shadow0599

n00b
Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
10
This past weekend I turned on my computer and the sound that came from it sounded like that of a helicopter, and it was very loud and annoying. So, I opened up my case, only to find that the fan (roughly 4.5" in diameter) on my CPU liquid cooling was cracked down the middle. Now, the fins of the fan are all still attached, but only the center of the fan is cracked, which has one crack down the middle of that center part and one radial crack coming off of that, forming a t-shape of cracks.

I have an AMD Fx-6300 CPU which I bought from ibuypower.com last year, and the liquid cooling came with it. Also, I really want to upgrade my CPU to an Fx-8530, but I understand that with that I either have to buy a new liquid cooling system, or just use my old one (which is cracked). Also, I have an Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard.

So, I'm asking if I can replace only the fan in my liquid cooling system? OR, if not, which liquid cooling cooling system is the best for my AMD CPU, but also isn't too expensive, considering I'm still saving money for my CPU upgrade?

Thanks!
 
The fan is probably either 80, 120 or 140 mm.

Just pull that fan out, take it to your local computer hardware place (NOT WORST BUY!), like Frys or MicroCenter or what-have-you. Simply do a straight size comparison with your Mark I Eyeball.
 
4.5" translates to roughly 120mm. That means you have a 120mm fan. Any generic 120 mm fan would work, some will perform better than others (higher performance, less noise, longer lifetime).
 
Case fans are the same thing. All 120mm computer fans are the same, regardless of whether it's on the case or a radiator. Yes, you just unscrew it from the radiator and put the new one on.

Don't look at Best Buy. It's called Worst Buy for a reason.

Look on Newegg and Amazon for fans.
 
Alright, I'll get them there, and see if I can afford expedited shipping or something. But, I'm just curious and new to the community here, why exactly is it called "Worst Buy"?
 
These roundups may be of use in choosing a new fan for your CLC:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6177/...ator-fan-testing-eight-fans-with-corsairs-h80

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder

This is assuming that you are looking at performance and not simply aiming for the least-expensive replacement.

People call it Worst Buy for several reasons: 1) their prices on computer components is often not that great compared to online pricing and other B&Ms like MicroCenter, Fry's, etc. 2) their customer service is very hit or miss and largely depends on the mood of the slightly-above-minimum-wage employee you get behind the counter 3) they try to trick you into buying unnecessary extended warranties/service plans 4) the Geek Squad is a joke at best. This list kind of goes on like this for a while. Take your pick :D
 
Ignore the irrational hatred of Best Buy. Not everyone has a Fry's or Microcenter near them. If it is the most convenient place for you to purchase a 120mm fan then go for it. In this case you are looking to get something quickly and convenient so you can get your computer up and running. Any cheap old 120mm fan should work fine.

If you really feel like it you can certainly look into ordering a nicer fan online, one that might be quieter or perform a bit better.

There is really no reason why you shouldn't buy a fan from Best Buy if it is the most convenient option.
 
Alright, I'll get them there, and see if I can afford expedited shipping or something. But, I'm just curious and new to the community here, why exactly is it called "Worst Buy"?

Basically BB has gone from being a place with a small, but semi-decent selection of parts to being a "boutique" seller. Very limited options, pricing is NOT the best. And the staff there is basically mandated from above to try to upsell you any damn thing they possibly can.

On top of that, the "extended" warranties they try to sell people? Try actually getting them to HONOR one, in either letter or spirit...
 
If you have to pay for expedited shipping, then it may be worth it just to get something at Best Buy. Next day shipping is very expensive.

Alternatively, you probably have more than one 120mm fan in your case, you can pull one of those off and stick them on the radiator while you wait for a good one to come in.
 
If you have to pay for expedited shipping, then it may be worth it just to get something at Best Buy. Next day shipping is very expensive.

This is very true, but Best Buy just doesn't seem to have the selection I want in this case. Now, I am split between three different fans:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=120mm_fan_+_LED-_-35-228-012-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6146836&SID=i6jyvpg9l2000a1700053

The last one seems like the best to me, but its also the most expensive. I want my fan to look and sound nice, while also being effective with moving air, but I don't want to have to pay more than I have to. What do you think?
 
The Masscool is a ball bearing fan. Ball bearing fans are noisier, but last much longer than sleeve bearing fans. The Apevia is a sleeve bearing fan, most likely. It won't last as long, but is quieter. If you have it mounted horizontally, it will likely go bad more quickly. Sleeve bearings are also generally less expensive than ball bearings.

The Cougar uses a modified sleeve bearing (no matter what they call it, if it's not ball bearing, it's a sleeve bearing). Not all modified sleeve bearings are created equally. Cougar tends to be good. Noctua is regarded as the best. The best modified sleeve bearings will have the best of both worlds, but you pay for it.
 
The Cougar uses a modified sleeve bearing (no matter what they call it, if it's not ball bearing, it's a sleeve bearing). Not all modified sleeve bearings are created equally. Cougar tends to be good. Noctua is regarded as the best. The best modified sleeve bearings will have the best of both worlds, but you pay for it.

Here are the specs of the fan from its website also:

"DUAL-LAYER RIGID BLADE DESIGN
Nine dual-layer rigid blades generate more powerful airflow, air pressure & decrease wind shear noise
COUGAR DIVERSION CLAWS DESIGN
Innovative COUGAR diversion claws to provide focused airflow & reduce noisy air turbulences
ANTI-VIBRATION PAD DESIGN
Reduce the vibrations efficiently & silent operation.
LED LIGHT VISUAL DESIGN
BLUE LED with transparent blue blade generates energetic visual effect
HYDRAULIC BEARING TECHNOLOGY
HB runs more smoothly with no friction, make it quietly & durability
TOOL-LESS FIXED PINS
Rubber fixed pins also reduces vibrations (fan run more quietly) and tool-less makes it easy to mount, with no tools required"~

~http://www.cougar-world.com/products/fans/cfd_blue_led_fan.html
 
I disregard nearly all of that as marketing fluff. Either it doesn't do what it claims it does, or it doesn't affect anything to a perceptible degree.

You can't do a tool-less mount on a radiator anyways.

The fact will be that performance-wise, all three will be similar at the same RPM. Maybe slight advantage Cougar. The Cougar and the Apevia will most likely be the quietest, while the Masscool will be more noisy. The Apevia won't last as long as the Cougar or the Masscool.
 
Back
Top