What to buy with a semi-budget..HELP!

I'm kind of on a budget here.. and I'm still debating on what video card to buy.. I have finally collecting all of the peices for my new computer which includes...

Aspire X-Dreamer II (Black)
Kingston Hyper X PC 4000 512Mb x2
160GB WD 7200 PRM 8mb Cache
4 Panaflo Fans
DRU-530A Sony DVD -/+ burner
KDS 19'' XF-9Bi
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ mobo combo from recent NewEgg deal
Antec TrueBlue 480
Logitech MX700 and Elite Keyboard
No speakers due to budget costs..

So far, I'm in debt about.. 450 dollars on CC bills.. still in debt with little income

I'm debating on what video card to buy.. should I buy a PowerColor 9800SE and softmod it to 9800 Pro.. the 9800SE goes for about 145 and I am planning to buy a VGA Silencer which is about 15 which all comes out to be 160. OR

Should I go with a PowerColor 9800PRO and softmod it to XT instead? Remember, I am already in a 400 debt on my CC and I am planning to buy a VGA silencer either way because I plan to softmod and I will need it for better cooling..A little help and suggestion? Thanks

I recommend working on getting rid of the debt before getting a new video card.

In all honesty, work on getting out of debt before buying any kind of video card. At least have a plan to pay off the credit card bill before you spend any more money.

The debt is on my sis's CC which she can pay for now since she had a good paying job.. I can owe her and pay her back in time.. The thing is.. I just got my new room and my old comp is in my sister's room and I wanna GTFO cause the comp I'm using right now is running on..

9Mhz Intel Celeron..
ATI Radeon 7000
and I believe 2 sticks of 256 ram..

I also got my sister's boyfriend to give me 200 which he agreed to and I get another 50 from my other sister... The only reason for the 450 debt is because of the recently ordered cpu+mobo and psu and my monitor.. which I still didnt receive the rebates yet because I sent them in late.. being the lazy bastard I am.. I also just sent in the dvd burner rebates.. this was last week..

MOOOOOOOOOOOCH!

What's a little more debt? Really....you will most likely suck of the government teet for the rest of your life, so what's a little more?

Seriously, get rid of the debt first....especially since it is on your sis's card. Where does that put her if something urgent comes up, car repair, medical....etc. Get your butt in gear, and earn some money so you can pay off the dept you allready have and THEN pay off the videocard debt over time on your sis's card, if she agrees.

She has no car...my father owns one and its fine.. We are medically covered.. and she is not a big spender..

I can't find a job.. im of age 16! I guess I will apply at Mc Donalds... Either way I still need to order a video card..

ANYONE who WANTS a job can get a job, sure its not going to be your dream job, but who do you know started with there dream job? Get a part-time job, save your money, pay for it when you can afford it. Simple really.

As for the video card, go with the 9800pro and OC that one, I have read mixed results with the Powercolor, about a 40/60 chance of success/failure if I remember correctly. So, if you fail in the mod, then you have a 9800pro, with the other one...if you fail, you basically have a 9600.

Want to find me a job in brooklyn, ny? :D
Thanks for the info.. do you know what brand on 9800 pros, ( saphire, powercolor, connect3d) has the highest success rate of softmodding?

Honestly man i would get the cheapest card i could find man, Credit cards are no joke, you could ruin your credit or who evers card it is...then later on save up and buy a next gen or something, if you had to choose between the two, i would go with the 9800pro

get the PowerColor 9800 SE for 145...it's great....also, you shouldn't have purchased the computer given your financial state. A second hand Athlon XP system for around 200 bux would have been a better fit

hey guys give him a break! Obviously his sis was kind enough to let him charge the $$$ to her credit card... so that's not an issue! ;)

back to the video card... just get a sapphire 9800Pro. if you read the reviews on newegg.com of that card, you will see that a lot of people have softmodded those puppies to more than 9800xt speeds!

have fun!

Thanks bob- you understand me!! The budget isn't really a problem since my sis got it covered..

The 9800 pro's are still running around $200 aren't they?

You should spend a little more and get an nVidia 6800nu. You can find them for around $297. Maybe a little less. It will kick the crap out of a 9800XT and it supports the new nVidia technology. They also OC pretty good.

Kk folks, I won my bid on ebay!!

What I won was the Hercules 9800pro 128mb 256bit version. It is brand new and never used and I won it for 190 with like 15$ shipping. This was the first time I placed a bid on ebay because I never really trusted the services there but I hope this card is well worth the money :x Any suggestions on OC'ing this chip?

Back