What to buy starting off fresh?

eclypse

2[H]4U
I've had a budget gaming rig the past 2 years and I'm ready to build a new gaming rig.. way too confused with all the new tech out there.

Give me some guidance please!

What do I need and what don't I need?

I'm all for fast and the latest and greatest but don't want to blow money stupidly..

So far I'm planning on upgrading from a Asus 1150 mb w/ 16gb ddr3 ram with a 4790k cpu with gigabyte g1 980 sli to I'm feeling a gtx 1080 or 2.

Wouldn't mind a 8 core cpu but if I don't need it and can settle with another quad core or go with a 6 core I will.

Normally I'd wait till winter but last time I built one after Christmas they came out with the 980 ti like a month afterwards. :/

Runing the newest rog swift 27" 160fps monitor. So I'd like to peg 144 fps at least at 1440. ;)

What is budget about a 4790k w/ 16gb of RAM and SLI 980???

Either way, if your sole purpose is gaming, there is NO reason to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram right now. Wait until Kaby in the fall to upgrade (and even then the gains may not be what you want). Upgrading to a 6800k (x99) wont really help you in gaming and upgrading to 6700k does not warrant the gains for gaming. Just stay with your 4790k w/ overclock and upgrade to 1080 SLI.

Really? My cpu and chipsset will run a 1080 sli fine? Won't bog down my frame rate?

Should be fine. If you aren't overclocking your CPU yet, you can(should) do that as well.

What speed is your RAM?

A single 1080TI(When they come) or 1080 SLI seems to be all you need. A Skylake CPU would give some extra boost, specially in some cases. However at this time you can just as well wait for Kaby Lake. But on the CPU front if I was you, unless you can sell the old for a good price. I would wait for the one after Kaby Lake.

Should be fine. If you aren't overclocking your CPU yet, you can(should) do that as well.

What speed is your RAM?

I'm using some 16gb 2400mhz GSkill ram.

And no i'm not overclocking the cpu and never had as I didn't feel I needed to for such little gains to 4.6-4.7 from the default 4400.

I do have it under water though and could overclock it.

This system started out as a budget gaming rig but I ended up changing the gpu a few dozen times till I ended up with the 2 gigabyte G1 980s..and doubling up the ram from 8gbs and upgrading the monitor later on to the 27" rog swift.

Just a quick update..

Just grabbed 2 zotac amp 1080s and a new 1000watt evga p/s just encase my 750 watt super nova don't take kindly to them.. 980s over clocked worked fine but read something like 300+ watts per card so don't feel like taking a chance.

Was at micro center for 2 evga 1080 ftw cards but of course the site said they had 5 and the salesman said they must of sold this morning.

He did say that management would not allow them to buy the cards till recently so now I know who bought them! Lol

See how these play.. can exchange them if I see the ftw come back in stock.

Back