What thermal paste..?

flint338

Gawd
Been out of the cpu-seating business for awhile, what's the best paste to use these days? I'm going to be switching mobo's and need to reseat my HSF.. I used up my tube of arctic silver which I've had for about 3 years now

Figured I'd just buy another tube of arctic silver unless ya'll know of a better product..

AS5 is good and so is the ceramic version, it's more expensive but is non-conductive, which is nice if your a little sloppy with your application.

I tried out Zalman's thermal paste that comes in a jar and has a tiny brush you use to apply the paste. Its more of a fluid and is easy to apply. I love it and its been working great for me. Its really easy to get a nice even layer on the cpu and the heatsink base and its nice and clean. It is as easy as doing the "dot" method, but it spreads it out as good as if you were gonna use a razor. Alright I'm done praising it, I'm a messy person and always get AS5 on my hands or clothes and its a bitch to get off :x.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118010

Another vote for the Zalman stuff.

The same container and brush came with my 9700 cooler, and I'll have to say that it's a god send to those of us who aren't the most "thermal grease applying inclined." Like the poster above me says, it really cleans easy.

When reapplying, cleaning with alcohol is almost unnecessary unless you want the surface perfectly clean. It all comes off easily with just a napkin.

I'm not going to come on here and say that it's better than AS5, but for the less required effort I would rather use the Zalman.

I read the review some where, ZALMAN vs AR5, both tied for idle and overclock temperature. But Zalman is bit of expensive $6 for AR5 vs $10 for Zalman, so it is all your choice.

They're all within like 1c of eachother...

I agree with Gautama...

The Zalman stuff is initially better than the AS5, but after AS5 cures, it gets a degree or two on the Zalman.

I prefer Ceramique. Knowing that a little bit of misapplied TIM won't kill my CPU is worth the degree or two of difference. :)

AS5 for the money and the tests . And it only lowers temps the longer it's there .

Proof is in the pudding,and those compounds may stiffen after time and get (crusty)
And you no what that means . lol

Tbird87 said:
I tried out Zalman's thermal paste that comes in a jar and has a tiny brush you use to apply the paste. Its more of a fluid and is easy to apply. I love it and its been working great for me. Its really easy to get a nice even layer on the cpu and the heatsink base and its nice and clean. It is as easy as doing the "dot" method, but it spreads it out as good as if you were gonna use a razor. Alright I'm done praising it, I'm a messy person and always get AS5 on my hands or clothes and its a bitch to get off :x.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118010

I also have to say that the Zalman TP is awesome, seriously easy to apply on both the HS and the CPU. If I (complete noob) can do it flawlessly then anyone can.

Stuck_In_Afreaka said:
I also have to say that the Zalman TP is awesome, seriously easy to apply on both the HS and the CPU. If I (complete noob) can do it flawlessly then anyone can.

You know... Applying it to JUST the CPU (contrary to the instructions) will get you much better temperatures :).

Really? On the instructions it says otherwise... maybe I should try that out, why would it matter if I apply it too both vise just the CPU? Again total noob here...

Stuck_In_Afreaka said:
Really? On the instructions it says otherwise... maybe I should try that out, why would it matter if I apply it too both vise just the CPU? Again total noob here...

Yes. I've tried it both ways.

When you put it on both surfaces, there's too thick a layer.

Thermal paste heat conductivity is TERRIBLE. The less of it the BETTER. You only need a thin, THIN layer.

Guys, dont we have better things to do than worry about a 1-2C temp difference with thermal paste?

Just get which-ever one you want, I'll bet it wont make a difference on temperatures. AS5, MX-1 and Zalman's thermal material products are all good.

holy crap.. thanks for all the responses guys

I think I'll give the zalman stuff a try, I like the idea of a brush doing it. AS w/ the bag & razor method was always a bit of a pain.

and yeah, I really don't care about 1 degree or what. Price isn't really an issue (gee, $5 vs $10?) -- my last tube lasted me 3 years! Probably put it on 15 procs or so.

Ya'll can discuss this to death but I think I'm finished.. thanks again :)

Recently I switched from Zalman to a new Silicon based paste from Akasa. My CPU temps lowered 4º to 5ºC. The VGA went down to 51º from 57º after I replaced the TP that came with my 900cu.

Arcygenical said:
Yes. I've tried it both ways.

When you put it on both surfaces, there's too thick a layer.

Thermal paste heat conductivity is TERRIBLE. The less of it the BETTER. You only need a thin, THIN layer.
I get about the same results with the zalman stuff either way, probably because its pretty thin compared to alot of stuff.

Vaiks said:
Recently I switched from Zalman to a new Silicon based paste from Akasa. My CPU temps lowered 4º to 5ºC. The VGA went down to 51º from 57º after I replaced the TP that came with my 900cu.

Any one else tried the stuff from Akasa? I just looked it up and have to say Im interested if it actually gives you lower temps than silver based compounds.

Back