What the heck type of RAM is this?

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
2723407799_a4878e9b63.jpg

The one on top (heat spreader) is the one that came in the server.
One below is the one I ordered from Newegg.

They both say PC2-5300 RAM, perhaps it's because I really have never messed with RAM a whole lot, but why on earth are these different slots????

I think one is DDR and the other is DDR2. Might be labelled wrong. I had the same problem when I ordered some ECC DDR for a workstation, they sent me DDR2. That was their recommended 'compatible' memory too ;)

I think one is DDR and the other is DDR2. Might be labelled wrong. I had the same problem when I ordered some ECC DDR for a workstation, they sent me DDR2. That was their recommended 'compatible' memory too ;)

Hmmm...

So which one is the one labeled wrong?
I'd assume Newegg's is probably the "True" one (Kingston RAM on the bottom)

well depending on what ram u needed compare the new ram to the old one. then u will know ;)

well depending on what ram u needed compare the new ram to the old one. then u will know ;)

I just need to add more RAM of the type on top in the picture.
Type in the picture says PC2-5300, and that's what I ordered from Newegg.

Obviously- it isn't the same thing!

I can't say for sure just by looking at the picture, but I CAN tell you that the difference in where the slit in the RAM is *DOES* signify different types of DDR RAM. DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 all have the slot in a different place to make sure that they don't end up in an incompatible slot. The only way to find out for sure would be to find different Mobo's with single DDR compatibility and see which sticks fit in their appropriate slots.

I can't say for sure just by looking at the picture, but I CAN tell you that the difference in where the slit in the RAM is *DOES* signify different types of DDR RAM. DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 all have the slot in a different place to make sure that they don't end up in an incompatible slot. The only way to find out for sure would be to find different Mobo's with single DDR compatibility and see which sticks fit in their appropriate slots.

HP's RAM is so freaking expensive... for 2GB of RAM I could buy about 8GB or 10GB on Newegg :rolleyes:

I guess I can see if they can clarify what type of RAM this thing takes (Crucial's scanner didn't detect it, which doesn't surprise me).

download something like pcwizard or everest and it'll tell you what type of DDR you have, just by looking at it, I'd say the top stick is DDR and the bottom is DDR2, DDR2 is keyed closer to the exact center of the stick IIRC...

download something like pcwizard or everest and it'll tell you what type of DDR you have, just by looking at it, I'd say the top stick is DDR and the bottom is DDR2, DDR2 is keyed closer to the exact center of the stick IIRC...

Well, according to PCWizard the top one is DDR2 as well:
General Information :
DIMM 1A ( ) : 1024 MB - DIMM
DIMM 5A ( ) : 1024 MB - DIMM
Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM 1A) :
Manufacturer : Samsung
Part Number : Unspecified
Serial Number : F057070212EB5C00
Module Manufacturer : Unspecified
Type : DDR2 FB-DIMM PC2-0 (0 MHz)
Format : FB-DIMM (133.35 x 0)
Size : 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Module SLi Ready (EPP) : No
Width : 8-bit
Error Correction Capability : Unspecified
Max. Burst Length : 8
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs
Voltage : 1.5v
Prefetch Buffer : 4-bit
Manufacture : Week 5 of 2007
Supported Frequencies : 0 MHz
CAS Latency (tCL) : 0 clocks @0 MHz
RAS to CAS (tRCD) : 0 clocks @0 MHz
RAS Precharge (tRP) : 0 clocks @0 MHz
Cycle Time (tRAS) : 0 clocks @0 MHz

So why on earth would the one I bought be a different slot? Is this some propriety garbage HP has going on?

One is ddr2 (bottom with no heat spreader) and top is a fb-dimm (with heat spreader), I know the bottom is ddr2 because ddr2 uses smaller chips then ddr, so that rules out ddr. And im pretty sure that fb-dimm uses a different slot then ddr2 and ddr. So you should return the ddr2 (bottom) ram and order some fb-dimm ram.

FB-Dimm Explained here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_Buffered_DIMM

FB-DIMM is the kind of memory you'd find in servers and the Mac Pro for instance.
Implementations

Intel has adopted the technology for their newer Xeon 5000/5100 series and beyond, which they consider "a long-term strategic direction for servers".[6]

Sun Microsystems is using FB-DIMMs for the Niagara II (UltraSparc T2) server processor.[7]

The new enthusiast system from Intel making use of the Intel Desktop Board D5400XS labeled "Skulltrail" is set to use FB-DIMMs for their dual CPU socket, multi-GPU system.

you know.... you could have just looked up the motherboard/system on the manufacturer's website to see what type of RAM it takes.

A lot easier than tryimg to identify what it is just by pictures.

Yeah, that will work, they're FB-Dimms, you can tell by the bump out in the middle of the module where the amb resides. Plus someone also pulled the specs for your stick in one of the former posts. Generally you want to install them in sets of 4 so you can get quad channel performance. They're used with the Intel 5000 and 5400 series chipsets for the LGA 771 processors.

Yeah, that will work, they're FB-Dimms, you can tell by the bump out in the middle of the module where the amb resides. Plus someone also pulled the specs for your stick in one of the former posts. Generally you want to install them in sets of 4 so you can get quad channel performance. They're used with the Intel 5000 and 5400 series chipsets for the LGA 771 processors.

Well, once I get these in, I'll have 2x2GB and 2x1GB...

Hopefully will keep server humming along a bit better ;)

Back