What the heck is wrong with these HD's???

McDeth

Limp Gawd
I have 2 WD80's hooked up to my computer, in addition to a Maxtor 200GB 7200 SATA HD. The problem is, whenever I try to either reload my copy of Windows XP or boot with either one of the 2 WD80's set as the 1st boot device, the computer refuses to load into Windows and stops short saying, "Error loading operating system."

As long as I keep the two WD80's unpowered, the Maxtor will load fine, but as soon as I plug either one of the WD80's in, it gets the error. I should mention that both of these HD's were working fine before I just reloaded 2 hours ago, but now I can't get any of my backup information off either of the WD80's. What the flying fu*k are wrong with them?

...and not to sound snotty or anything, I obviously know they're "broken," but what the heck changed in the last 2 hours to make them not work. I haven't touched them, outside of unplugging them, and I ALWAYS make sure I'm grounded before I touch anything in my computer. :(

Specs:

DFI Lanparty Ultra2 Rev B
AMD 2500 XP+ oc'd to 3200+
1 GB DDR400 Mushkin
1x 200 GB Maxtor WD200
2x WD80's
Hercules Geforce 6800 GT OC
Creative SB Audigy2 Platnium

Have you tried either of the 80's by themselves with both the other drives unpowered?

in your bios can you change your boot disk priority, if you can make sure the first device is the one you want it to boot from

Enable RAID in the bios.
In your boot screen look for the msg for ARAY or RAID hit the keys
Add the drive, drives to the array, even it’s just a single drive
Next look for boot order and hit those keys, select CD Rom so you can re-install windows with the RAID driver (wait for the “Push F-6 to install drivers”) Have your floppy in your floppy drive. Most of those disks have 2 drivers on them, install both.

In most cases you have to add all drives to the RAID screen even if your not using RAID.
Once windows is installed you can go into your BIOS and disable RAID if it doesn’t do it automatically, but you must select the proper boot drive in your BIOS screen at that time.

Give that a shot

Back