What the heck is this error?

TSx

Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
647
I started getting this error about a week or two ago. Nothing in my system has changed in about two years, with the exception of the monitor which was added about 3.5 months ago. The monitor is connected via DVI, the 9800pro is connected from the card to the psu, the card then goes to my front panel led's. The power supply is I 'think' a 350W, possibly 400, Foxconn that came stock with my case.

I first got the error when I shut down my comp after leaving it on for a week or so, then turned it on the next morning, it booted to this error. Held the power button till it shut off, waited a few and turned it back on, same result. Fiddled with some cables a bit in the back thinking something may have simply come loose, turned it on again, worked fine. Restarted it probably a week later to update the ATI drivers and upon restart it booted to the same message. Since then, I get that message just about any time I restart. I've changed the way things are plugged in, I've blown the entire comp out a few times ensuring there's no dust, but I'm still at a loss as to why this error occurs.

Any ideas?



2823.jpg
 
Me thinks it is crappy Foxconn PSU or make sure everything is securely connected
 
i think you may have burned your video card OR you might not have the extra power coming to the video card. just be careful not to plug the wrong power cable, you might kill your video card if u do or worse. this is a warning that something bad happen or may happen.
 
I think its RMA time, or try the card in another comp. Similiar message when my x800 went Kaput.
 
it might still work. just be careful the next time you install it again. read the manual and go step by step on the power cable how to connect stuff. be sure you are using the cable that came with your video card, and not one that you bought independentely (newegg.com, etc).
 
The 9700 / 9800 Pro used that crappy floppy power connector. That's the weak point on these cards. Mine did the same thing occasionally. My guess is the floppy plug on the card is ever so slightly damaged, and thus isn't making good connection. That's why you're getting the message.
 
I think i read that the contacts on the floppy connector actually rust (or somthing) which means it doesn't make a good contact. A little bit of sandpaper on the contacts was the recommended cure, but it might have been BS I was reading.

If that isn't the case, I think it's probably your PSU crapping out. Startup is when it will be stressed the most, so it might be sagging too much for the 9800 to power on.

 
I would try a different PSU or a different video card..should narrow things down.

pretty sure you thought of this already but might not have the stuff to do it.
 
Back
Top