What the heck happened to this XP?

aliensRreal

Limp Gawd
I got a laptop to fix today. First boot up I got a boot disk error, second I got a no OS error, and third I got the safe mode options. Other times it has been just random black screens with no displayed errors. The person did want me to backup the pictures and things if I could, but what can I do here? I don't have an external case for a laptop hard drive or anything like that. I tried to do a repair install because that doesn't erase anything and that failed before it even started.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do for this OS and how I can backup the pictures and stuff?

You could try using UBCD4Win with an external drive attached and copy the files that way.

It sounds like a dying hard drive so I would use it as little as possible and copy the data before anything, then run the manufacturers diagnostics

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow. I have actually managed to run a chkdsk and found a missing file and fixed a few files. When I go to the recovery console it says that my access is denied when I try and copy the file over. What could be the cause of this?

I would use BartPE. Its a "live" version of Windows XP. You should be able to boot up and do what repair are needed.

Thanks a lot for the help guys! I will be sure to use some sort of hdd regenerating program on this laptop. I just got the laptop to boot into to a desktop, so obviously some progress is being made. :D

Back