what the heck happened to my computer?

The last 7 or so posts have been extremely helpful and completely solved my problem.

a09eb2416e776d307af4249fa2ba1aad5910ccca68bf410e77d1d4d3c0db3f31.jpg

The last 7 or so posts have been extremely helpful and completely solved my problem.

a09eb2416e776d307af4249fa2ba1aad5910ccca68bf410e77d1d4d3c0db3f31.jpg

If you want a solution to your problem here it is: Switch the OS to something else. You probably didn't like that answer.

If you want a solution to your problem here it is: Switch the OS to something else. You probably didn't like that answer.

As of now, that is one of two solutions. The other being disable updates in win10 after reinstalling again. However, I may just say screw it and use this as an excuse to upgrade.

As of now, that is one of two solutions. The other being disable updates in win10 after reinstalling again. However, I may just say screw it and use this as an excuse to upgrade.

Upgrade to what? You'll have to ditch Microsoft to upgrade :)

You'll probably be able to skip the problems by reinstalling and setting the updates to 'metered connection'. But then your windows will be even more vulnerable than it is with updates. If I were you I'd ditch Windows entirely for non-gaming purposes and start learning an alternative OS like OSX or linux.

You'll probably be able to skip the problems by reinstalling and setting the updates to 'metered connection'. But then your windows will be even more vulnerable than it is with updates. If I were you I'd ditch Windows entirely for non-gaming purposes and start learning an alternative OS like OSX or linux.

Vulnerability is relative to the weakest link. I don't go to sites I shouldn't or run exe's I shouldn't. I'm perfectly happy running windows 10 aside from this issue. Also, certain video capture software I use does not work on any other platform. Therefore going from that software into an NLE is much easier without having to restart and switch OSes.

Vulnerability is relative to the weakest link. I don't go to sites I shouldn't or run exe's I shouldn't. I'm perfectly happy running windows 10 aside from this issue. Also, certain video capture software I use does not work on any other platform. Therefore going from that software into an NLE is much easier without having to restart and switch OSes.

Sorry but attackers are known to utilise advertisements (for one example but limited to) on 'harmless' sites to attack Windows. So you can't protect yourself in any way when browsing with Windows. The attack may come from Hardocp.com adverts for example..

The only way to thwart 99,9% of attacks is to browse using an alternative OS and non-IE platform.

Yes, oh, yes, B00nie, you're so right, I switched to Linux and instantly had an orgasm. It's everything you said it was. Rainbows, Unicorn tears, perfection in every distro. :rolleyes:

Yes, we know how perfect it is. Yes, we know it's better. You've done your job of informing everyone in these forums how excellent it is. Your job is over now. But, we're still going to use Windows. Bummer huh?

You're not the only one to experience a hosed OS install as a result of a Windows update, I deal with them daily.
care to elaborate? I have yet to have any post update issue with any of our users

Yes, oh, yes, B00nie, you're so right, I switched to Linux and instantly had an orgasm. It's everything you said it was. Rainbows, Unicorn tears, perfection in every distro. :rolleyes:

Yes, we know how perfect it is. Yes, we know it's better. You've done your job of informing everyone in these forums how excellent it is. Your job is over now. But, we're still going to use Windows. Bummer huh?

Too bad for you essentially. If you can't evolve you suffer and die.

care to elaborate? I have yet to have any post update issue with any of our users

Not really, I think my quote pretty much covers it.

I deal with the public, not an office, when it comes to IT related issues and I've come across many hosed Windows installs when it comes to Windows update - The system needs to allow more control over the updating process and Microsoft really need to make an OS that isn't so reliant on applying updates on startup or shutdown.

little update. I clean installed last week after all of this shit, been working fine up until now. It installed updates last night/this morning, booted up fine. Then I played a game and browsed the web for a bit. Shut it down and now when I go to turn it on, SAME FUCKING DEAL. It freezes the second it goes to the SSD. POSTs fine but soon as it goes to boot windows it freezes before the logo right after numlock comes on. Fucking beautiful!

EDIT:

looks like other people started having the same issue a few days after I made this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkS...nkstation-Won-t-Boot-Postcode-0d/td-p/3480429

So it appears to be a forced Intel driver update that's causing the issue?

I've been in the IT world a long time and I've seen new drivers fuck up working systems quite often.
I get that MS wants to force the security and other OS updates, but forcing driver updates is a really bad idea.

So it appears to be a forced Intel driver update that's causing the issue?

I've been in the IT world a long time and I've seen new drivers fuck up working systems quite often.
I get that MS wants to force the security and other OS updates, but forcing driver updates is a really bad idea.

what's weird is system restore to an earlier point doesn't fix it.

>>what's weird is system restore to an earlier point doesn't fix it.

It's maybe restoring the registry but not the actual previous driver.

I wonder if there is a policy item to lock down driver installs to Admin only.

ETA: Here's what I would try.... Do whatever you need to do to get the system running again
(re-install, etc.) but keep the machine disconnected from the network. Then when you are up
and running do this to disable driver updates and allow Administrator override:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/take-back-control-driver-updates-windows-10/

"On Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise editions only, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable updates entirely. Some users report that this is the only setting that worked for them. The advantage of this method is that you can also disable updates for selected devices only."

Last edited:
>>what's weird is system restore to an earlier point doesn't fix it.

It's maybe restoring the registry but not the actual previous driver.

I wonder if there is a policy item to lock down driver installs to Admin only.

I couldn't find evidence of it being an Intel thing. The update in question modifies the boot manager with a security update. I'm going to see if uninstalling the update allows the system to boot.

I couldn't find evidence of it being an Intel thing. The update in question modifies the boot manager with a security update. I'm going to see if uninstalling the update allows the system to boot.

uninstalling update in another machine did not fix the problem.

I had an Intel NUC doing a similar thing to this the issue was very intermittent. The machine would boot fine and appear ok, then all of a sudden it would just freeze resulting in no other option but a forced reboot, upon rebooting Windows would freeze just after the Windows logo just before the login window was about to appear on the screen or the bios would report a complete lack of an OS. Even on the re installation of Windows the installer would just freeze with no data transfer.

In the end I worked out that the combined SATA power/data cable was faulty, swapped it with another NUC and was good to go again - I'm still trying to work out warranty with Intel as it appears that you can't buy that cable assembly - Which I think is a bit of an oversight!

It may be time to open the lappy up and take a look, try to rule out the possibility of a cabling issue? Failing that I have also had another issue where Windows would freeze on boot, the issue once again was so bad that I couldn't even get the install media to work. I disabled secure boot for legacy boot, same thing, Windows would just hang on boot. In the end I found an option in the laptop's bios that allowed me to reset secure boot, I reset secure boot and bingo, everything ran fine from that point on.

Perhaps another option?

>>I reset secure boot and bingo, everything ran fine from that point on.

There ya go, that sounds promising.

I mentioned Safe Boot, but yes I meant Secure Boot.

>>I reset secure boot and bingo, everything ran fine from that point on.

There ya go, that sounds promising.

I mentioned Safe Boot, but yes I meant Secure Boot.

that would be great if my BIOS had the option, but it does not.

Secure Boot is the most bullshit idea since the inception of iTunes on the PC.

Biggest problem being, when you disable it, half the time it's not fully disabled.

I'm not a fan of Secure Boot either, seems to cause more problems than it claims to solve.

mnewxcv, what update did you identify as being the culprit?

I'm not a fan of Secure Boot either, seems to cause more problems than it claims to solve.

mnewxcv, what update did you identify as being the culprit?

kb3200970: Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1607

This is probably the item in that update to look at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-140.aspx

Check for any BIOS updates for your mobo. (sounds weird for this issue I know)

You said Win-10 will start with the boot drive in another machine?

If so, boot it up on the other machine and check the Event log for the boot attempts that failed in the original machine.

Also see what happens if you try the auto repair thing in the Recovery Options. (likely won't fix it)

Just went back and re-read this post:

I believe older BIOS versions for this machine (Lenovo branded) had a secure boot option. The latest version and one before though do not. CSM, UEFI, and quick boot options are there. I am wondering if secure boot was just programmed into one of those options. I will try to roll back my BIOS to one that has the option tonight. Otherwise, I guess I have no option but to put the drive in my laptop, back it up, and start from scratch with a clean install. LAME.

EDIT: upon looking for an older BIOS, I found that Lenovo released a BIOS update yesterday with "undisclosed security updates". Doesn't mention anything about it fixing boot issues, and maybe just a coincidence it came out the day the problem I have started, but I will update and see if it fixes the problem.

I think maybe you were on the right track here.

See if you can flash an older BIOS and then disable Secure Boot

Looks for these Event IDs:

"Windows versions 10 and higher log the event by default. Event ID 155 indicates baseline protection. Event ID 154 indicates enhanced protection."

If you can stick the drive in another machine and get it to boot you could also check Reliability Manager and see what that comes up with - A very handy and under utilised utility.

Back