• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What the difference in the cables???

PhxGuy520

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
64
I just bought a Gateway FPD21851 21" monitor. I have a 6800GT video card and I would like to use the DVI connection on the two. I noticed that there appears to be a couple different types of DVI cables. I have seen DVI-E, DVI-D, and and I think I even DVI-I. What the difference between the cables. The specs on the monitor say it has DVI-D, but does it matter which DVI cable I get.

Thanks!!!!
 
There are three kinds:

DVI-A - Analog (rare, few LCDs have this since it's kind of pointless with the existence of VGA)
DVI-D - Digital
DVI-I - basically both analog and digital combined.

If your monitor says it uses DVI-D, you have to get DVI-D since its connector will probably only support DVI-D. The video card however, will probably support both types of cables (DVI-I connector).
 
DVI-D (Digital) - Subdivided in single and dual link

DVI-A (Analog)

DVI-I (Integrated Digital/Analog)
 
BillLeeLee said:
There are three kinds:

DVI-A - Analog (rare, few LCDs have this since it's kind of pointless with the existence of VGA)
DVI-D - Digital
DVI-I - basically both analog and digital combined.

If your monitor says it uses DVI-D, you have to get DVI-D since its connector will probably only support DVI-D. The video card however, will probably support both types of cables (DVI-I connector).

Awesome thanks for the reply...Do you know of anyplace that has a good deal on cables. (it will not come with one)
 
Back
Top