What temp. Do you keep your Server Room at?

DR_K13

2[H]4U
I keep my server room at 80F, so far no problems with overheating. The AC kicks on at 80 and turns off at 76.

Is this temp. to high? and what do you guys run yours at?

My companies server room runs at 70 degrees 24/7/365. It never deviates one degree up or down.

We just have our servers in the office, probably around 65 - 70.

Hopefully when we move to a bigger office soon I can get a server room.

I hate having the servers sitting out like that. I want them locked up tight.

80F is way too hot. Get it down and keep it down to max 72F. So yes...you do need to lower by 10F.

65f for all our server rooms. Makes me not wanna go in their some times unless I got my winter gear on.

Ours is kept at 70.

It's nice in the summer when it's kinda warm everywhere else.

Our server room is at a cool 83 degrees F right now.

Only because it's not a "server room" and the space is in direct sunlight.

plus there's no ventilation.

mobiux said:
Ours is kept at 70.

It's nice in the summer when it's kinda warm everywhere else.

lol i work in a lab and we have a cold room at 4 degrees C and just like you said i go in there on i hot day and just hang out for a few minutes. its like sitting in a refridgerator...literally.

sorry for off topic post.

70 F.
We also have a sensor alarm in the room and when the temp gets above 75 it will alarm. If the alarm is not shut off within 5 minutes it begins an auto dial process and starts dialing phone numbers of the I.T. staff homes in a hierarchical order. If you answer the phone call you receive a rather robotic voice message informing you of the alarm. At that point if you ignore it, it dials the next number in the sequence until someone sends the command to shut down sequence.

Mister Natural said:
70 F.
We also have a sensor alarm in the room and when the temp gets above 75 it will alarm. If the alarm is not shut off within 5 minutes it begins an auto dial process and starts dialing phone numbers of the I.T. staff homes in a hierarchical order. If you answer the phone call you receive a rather robotic voice message informing you of the alarm. At that point if you ignore it, it dials the next number in the sequence until someone sends the command to shut down sequence.

WOW! So cool.

Heh, my poor equipment... The server room at my work gets HOT. When they put in the room they decided there was no need for it to have its own AC system, or even have the building AC dump into it. OF course now they say it is too costly to add. So ambient temperature is roughly 85-90F.

It is crazy just on the other side of the door which is always open the air is kept at 74. The server room just never cools down. In the server rack I setup some fans at the bottom to drawn cooler air from outside the room at ground level, and then at the top I have fans blowing the hotter air out the top part of the door. The air in the rack stays around 82-88. A little cooler than ambient temp.

When they designed this place it was deisgned around a few computers connecting via modem and the server room was deisgned for the Panasonic DBS phone system, and a couple patch panels of Cat5. No one really thought things through.

I'm putting a dedicated cooling system and emergancy power generator in my plans for our next hardware refresh in 2008.(actually 1st hardware refresh, just replaced as needed for now to get caught up where it should have been 3 years ago).

Mister Natural said:
70 F.

exact same thing where I'm at. 70 degrees too.

The campus was doing some power grid changes over spring break and we knew the power was going to be played with. Shouldn't be any problem, we have our own backup generator for the servers and AC. Well, the power went off, and the AC went off while the servers kicked onto UPS and then like 15 seconds later our generator kicked on... but the AC for that room didn't. Tried to prime and reset it. Anything to kick it back on. Basically, the room heated up to 110 degrees in 20 minutes and the machines were either turned off or shut down. All the doors to the room were opened and dozens of those high capacity floor drying fans were everywhere. Finally the AC turned on, and the power was restored when the campus was back on the grid.

We suffered some damage to equipment, mostly in the form of memory errors and hdd crc on a few machines, which has all been replaced by now. The AC malfunctioned outside of the tolorances guarenteed by the contractor who installed it, and there was a monitary settlement but I don't know for how much.

Moral of the story, things fail and shit happens.

Mister Natural said:
70 F.

Same here, pretty badass I might add.

BTW, our server room is aorund 68F

Mister Natural said:
70 F.

What alarm is that? Is it based off of something like the environmental card adapter for an APC UPS?

shade91, isn't that kind of strict temp control beating your AC unit too death? why not set it to 68 and allow 2 degrees of tolerance. it will greatly reduce the amount your compressor kicks on and lengthen the life of the unit while still ensuring the room is never above 70 degrees.

i keep mine at 67 degrees with 2 degrees sensitivity, and 35% humidity and 5% sensitivity.

until mid-january my stuff was all sitting in a big room next to my desk. not locked up, and not climate controlled. it cost us ~$65K for the buildout and AC unit for our LAN room.

Back