What Stack for Project?

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
I'm going to be working on an in-house project to develop a simple CRM system. It won't have a ridiculous amount of features but will do a lot of math and validation. (in terms of math, i'm talking about simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).

I'm extremely familiar with PHP/JS/MySQL so I'm leaning on going that route, however, I don't want to end up investing a significant amount of time into a project that will eventually end up getting recoded using a different stack.

Below are some requirements and hopefully we can have a discussion about it :)

1. The database scheme will be in 2NF/3NF for normalization. Database will have the bulk of the work in terms of day to day.

2. Fields have very specific requirements in terms of length, what type of characters allowed, etc (regex stuff).

3. There will be a lot of math using fields and updating fields instantly (think JS) when items are changed even prior to committing it to the database.

4. Emailing out notifications/updates/logs are important.

5. Eventually an API will be built so i'm not sure if any middleware type languages will be needed at that time.

I'm familiar with Ruby and Python but I'm thinking that since this is a web-app that PHP/MySQL with Javascript would be best. Any suggestions or anything you want to add in terms of pros and cons?

Not sure you have any special requirements that dictate what stack you should be using. Such as scaling for multiple regions.

If that is the case, then any stack you pick should be sufficient at getting the job done. I would recommend you implement it the best way you know how, and right now it seems like the best way for you is the familiar way.

Since you're extremely familiar with PHP/JS/MySQL, just use those. No real difference between Ruby/Python/PHP for this project.

Have you used Laravel before btw?

Doesn't sounds like anything you couldn't do with PHP/JS/MySQL, and I don't see that combo going away in the near future.

Back