• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

what speed is my processor running at?

IRML

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
96
can someone tell me what the 2.00ghz at the end of this line (taken from system properties) means?

"Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00ghz 2.00ghz"

the reason I ask is that I just installed Steam and it says my processor is running at 2ghz even though I have a QX9650 which has a stock speed of 3ghz, do you think I've set up my machine wrong?
 
it's just been speedsteped down cause you're not doing anything intense. nothing to worry about.
 
If you right click on "my computer" and do properties it should show your cpu speed. You could also run CPU-z.

If it is running at 2ghz check your BIOS settings to make sure everything is correct.
 
Speedstep is a function you can disable in or enable in your BIOS.
It will slow your CPU down to effectively reduce temperatures fan noises and the electric bill, as soon as your PC demands power the Speedstep pushes the CPU instantly back to full power.

CPU-z "Click to download"
Will show you in real time the CPU speed of your procesor.

Do something in the background like compress a folder or open a game in windowed mode and then look at CPU-z again to confirm it goes to 3.0ghz.
 
ok thanks for the quick reply guys, I'll run some of my CG apps and check what it says then
 
nope, rendering or running games isn't making the CPU run at full speed

I'll check the bios
 
ok on checking the bios my CPU is set for a target speed of 1998mhz

haven't got a clue how to change it though
 
here's a screenshot from CPU-Z

cpuzeg2.jpg


are my front side bus settings wrong? it's set with jumpers on the motherboard but I just left it default because that's supposed to be the auto detect mode
 
download Prime95 HERE and run a stress test, while thats going on recheck with CPU-z


And by looking at CPU-z, you FSB is perfect, you have a multiplier of 6X which would be signs of speedstep, as at full speed that number will change from a 6 to a 9.

333 X 6 = 1998Mhz
333 X 9 = 2997Mhz
 
alright but even rendering out of lightwave3D, which I'd want all my power for, isn't bringing it up to 3ghz, so perhaps I should just set it to not do this speedstep thingy
 
ok I've been running 4 instances of that stress test for a while now, task manager is showing all 4 cores at 100% and the CPU heatsink is starting to warm up a little bit - but still only 2ghz

btw is 333.3mhz the bus speed for each core? 333.3 x 4 cores is where the 1333.3mhz value comes from?
 
I can't see any options to turn off this speedstep in vista or in the bios, but on checking the bios I've got "CPU Clock Ratio" set to 6, is that where the problem is comming from?
 
guys do you think this is setup incorrectly in the bois? rather than speedstep slowing it down
 
yeah I don't want to mess about with that without know what else it'll do, or if I need to up the voltages or anything
 
Changing it to 9 should be very safe, the Bios automatically raises the voltage to the needed level.

The way your frequency works is the Bus speed X the multiplier, you have a multiplier of 6 so its 333 multiplied by 6 or about 2000mhz
You have 4 cores so you technically have 8ghz of power there. if you would have the CPU at its real stock speed you would have 12Ghz of total technical power.

I say technically because only programs made to use all four cores can take advantage of it.
 
ok well it's getting late and I'll try that tomorrow, I'm a bit annoyed my PC can't just do this crap automatically, I've spent enough money on it so it's the least I expect, it knows I'm using a 3ghz processor but yet it runs it at 2ghz

also just to make sure it's not messing up elsewhere, could someone tell me if this page looks right for 8gb of DDR2 800 C4?

I think double data rate might make it show up as 400mhz because the effective speed is 800 or something like that, but I don't know about the latencies saying 5 when I've got C4

cpuz2bm3.jpg
 
It could be you reset the CMOS on your mother board and it set it self to failsafe defaults, or it simply comes that way be default.
 
:D

cpuz3ik6.jpg


changed the multiplier to 9, when I started my machine up and I looked at system properties this time it said:

"Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00ghz 3.00ghz"

CPU-Z still showed a multiplier of 6 and 2000mhz, but when I got the processor up to 100% it instantly switched to 9 and 3ghz, so I guess speedstep is working now

the cool thing is there doesn't seem to be any noticable rise in heat, my zerotherm nirvana is only slightly warm to the touch at the bottom fins even with 4 instances of prime95 running torture test

anyway does that voltage look alright to you, it changed itself automatically so I hope it's ok, but auto settings were wrong last time obviously so I'd like someone to check, and check if that ram page looks ok too
 
Back
Top